Survivors' list

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

Thanks. That is a very interesting list. Of course, I knew some of them eg Michel Navratil, Alfred Nourney, George Rosenshine and August Wennerstrom.

There is an interesting speculation about August Wennerstrom as which which of the two surnames was real. In the mid-1990s, we all assumed that he was really August Edvard Andersson but later several Scandinavian sources said that he was really Wennerstrom and that Andersson was the alias he sometimes used. My Finnish friend Juha Peltonen was one such who did an about turn about the man's real name.

Whether he was Wennerstrom or Andersson, he was one of the more interesting survivors of the Titanic disaster. He was saved on Collapsible A and might have been one of those who witnessed the shooting incident close at hand.

Steven Christian

Steven Christian

What I found interesting was the number of crewmen using different names. I wonder why. Trouble with the shipping lines, wanted by the law, dodging taxes if they had income taxes in those days for England? I know the US didnt until 1913.

Arun Vajpey

Arun Vajpey

While on the subject of aliases, I was reminded of another thread that I started 5 years ago in the "What if events that never happened" sub-forum. This was about how Michel Navratil Sr, in his guise as Louis Hoffman, could have disappeared easily with his children once they reached New York if the Titanic had not struck the iceberg and sunk. Of course, it it had not sunk, the Titanic would not have been famous as it is now and the passengers on board for its maiden voyage would not have been any better known than those on board the maiden voyages of Olympic, Mauretania etc.

But if the tragedy had unfolded in exactly the same manner except that "Louis Hoffman" has survived, he would have had considerably more difficulty in disappearing into obscurity. But I still think her would have managed it by the time Marcelle realized what could have happened and started an investigation.