Survivors News

Jan 29, 2001
Yes indeed Mr. Ticehurst, amidst all the sorrowful economic news circulating the globe, it is good news to know that our "last of the last" is doing well. It was unfortunate Ms. Dean had to part with some of her Titanic related holdings to make ends meet...

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
Funchal. Madeira
The BBC has just reported that Millvina is to auction -off the rest of her memorabilia. She is now 97 and needs the money to pay for her care in the home. at present it is costing her three thousand pound a month at the moment.

Cathy Pohlman

Apr 15, 2009
I saw an article on BBC.com that mentioned that Millvina Dean is auctioning off all of her Titanic memorabilia to cover her nursing home expenses and I felt so sad I almost cried. I spent many hours on the phone with her in 1996 when I was working on an A&E special and she even sent me a hand-wriiten letter when she was coming to the US for a premier of the Leonardo DiCaprio/Titanic movie and I missed meeting her! I would love to be able to send her a few bucks to cover some of her nursing home expenses. I wish I could buy all of her stuff and give it back to her. Does anyone have an address where I can donate money directly to her? I have her previous home address, but I don't want to send money there unless I know she'll personally receive it. It would be wonderful if every Titanic enthusiast could send her a few dollars to cover her expenses. Her experience has enriched the lives of so many, why not give something back to one who needs it?!

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Matthew Jones

Apr 2, 2009
I'm a writer from the states. I've known Millvina Dean, the last Titanic Survivor for many years. I have corresponded with her over the years and I visited her for tea last year at her home in Southampton. The recent events concerning Millvina and the need for her to sell off her family heirlooms touched me deeply. So I have recently sent a letter addressed to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second pleading for her to help maybe an establish some trust or something so that she may enjoy her remaining years in peace, and without the burden of keeping up with raising money for her to secure her resident.

The Titanic Anniversary upon us, I feel if anything is news worthy about the Titanic this is. I also have photos of my recent visit with her. She is truly a National Treasure to the world.I have a coin she gave me of her mothers'
Great lady, so she didn't sell everything.

Thanks for your time
Matthew

[Moderator's Note: This message, originally a separate thread in a different topic, has been moved to this pre-existing thread addressing the same subject. MAB]

Cathy Pohlman

Apr 15, 2009
I posted a thread last week about the plight of poor Millvina Dean. Here it is again:

"I saw an article on BBC.com that mentioned that Millvina Dean is auctioning off all of her Titanic memorabilia to cover her nursing home expenses and I felt so sad I almost cried. I spent many hours on the phone with her in 1996 when I was working on an A&E special and she even sent me a hand-wriiten letter when she was coming to the US for a premier of the Leonardo DiCaprio/Titanic movie and I missed meeting her! I would love to be able to send her a few bucks to cover some of her nursing home expenses. I wish I could buy all of her stuff and give it back to her. Does anyone have an address where I can donate money directly to her? I have her previous home address, but I don't want to send money there unless I know she'll personally receive it. It would be wonderful if every Titanic enthusiast could send her a few dollars to cover her expenses. Her experience has enriched the lives of so many, why not give something back to one who needs it?!"

I wonder who got all of her stuff for $8,000? I'm appalled that she sold all of her precious things and got a pittance for her. Unbelievable...if the buyers had any soul at all they would give it all back to her (as one buyer actually did). They took a 97-year-old woman's prized family possessions - acquired in the face of the tragedy of losing a parent - and I'm sickened by it. She may not have a place to live soon. I hope the purchasers can live with that. Anybody have an address where I can send the poor woman my own money? I never wanted her stuff.

John Clifford

Nov 12, 2000
First off, some of the items Millvina is auctioning off are ones she, now, feels she has no use for. The auctions allow for them to, hopefully, go to people who will appreciate the items.
That is Milllvina's choice, instead of having everything tossed, as could happen, after she is gone.

BTW, I wondered about the letter stating that Millvina was coming to attend "a premier of the Leonardo DiCaprio/Titanic movie".
Millvina was, still is, adamant that she will not see that film. Could it have been when she came to the THS Convention in April 1998?

Mar 15, 2001
I don't know the exchange rates for US currency to British. Does anyone have any comparision chart? If I donated $50.00, how many pounds would that be?

Jul 23, 2008
I visited Millvina today and thought ET members would like an update.

I was sad to see her so frail because of a cough - which is getting her down. However, we had a good old chat and she said she really enjoyed the recent BTS Convention and was delighted that so many people were there to see her.

She still has dozens of requests for autographs but she finds it difficult to write for any length of time because her hands are quite weak. Her favourite thing is, of course, to have people come and visit and chat.

Despite her cough she was full of giggles about this and that. It's good to see her so positive despite her ailments.

Bruno is also keeping chipper - despite his bad back. He visits Millvina every day and loves to chat about the old days.

Jul 23, 2008
Interesting to see this article featured on ET:

'Titanic' director and cast are asked to help ship's last survivor

https://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/titanic-news/881/

I myself wrote to James Cameron quite some time ago asking if he could contribute towards Millvina's nursing home bills but have had no response whatsoever.

He is, of course, not obliged to Millvina in any way. However, as a gesture of goodwill it would not go amiss.

Nov 30, 2000
In case anyone was wondering:

The challenge by that photographer in the Irish Independent has apparently resulted in Cameron, Winslet, and DiCaprio matching the man's donations to help pay for Millvina Dean's nursing home bills. But so far Celine Dion and 20th Century Fox -whom he also challenged- have remained silent.

[Moderator's note: This post, originally posted as a separate thread in another topic, has been moved to the pre-existing one discussing the same subject. JDT]

Jan 29, 2001
It is wonderful news. And, however Ms. Dean refused to view the film, it was a great gesture from a producer, and his primary cast, to contribute to a needy cause. Not to mention the fact the blockbuster film TITANIC has yet to be surpassed in box office receipts.

Michael Cundiff
NV, USA

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>But so far Celine Dion and 20th Century Fox -whom he also challenged- have remained silent.<<

And there could be two reasons for that. Either she ignored the appeal or she contributed but declined to make the fact known. I'm not going to worry about it either way. I'm just gratified to see that Milvina is getting some needed financial assistance.

Jul 23, 2008
It's great that the stars of JC's Titanic are contributing to Millvina's care home bills. They have no obligation to do so and therefore it's a kind gesture. I'm sure Millvina will be delighted. It will also be a great worry off her mind.

I believe Don Mullan also has a Titanic book coming out soon so his appeal will certainly help generate plenty of useful publicity and keep Millvina's circumstances in the public eye.

Matthew Jones

Apr 2, 2009
I ask for you to run this story 04/15/09 an I didn't get a reply, after stating that I had written the Queen, THAT WAS NOT NEWS WORTHY BUT KNOW WITH THE STARS, behind it WEll it seems to be

P.S. What a joke.

Thanks for nothing
Matthew