Survivors' untimely deaths

J

Jeremy Lee

Probably drug overdosing wasn't exactly a very popular way of committing suicide in the past.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

My bet is you're probably right. Hanging or eating ones pistol seemed to be the method of choice. At least in western cultures.

Tracy Smith

Tracy Smith

Drug overdosing is more commonly associated with female suicides than male suicides for some reason.

M

monica e. hall

Dorothy Parker, prone to melancholy, gave some thought to how best to end one's own life, and came to a relatively happy conclusion.

Razors pain you
Rivers are damp
Acids stain you
Drugs cause cramp
Guns aren't lawful
Nooses give
Gas smells awful
You might as well live

Tracy is right in what she says. And aren't many suicides young? I can't quite see any young people who survived the Titanic committing suicide, it doesn't make sense. That would leave older people either at the time or later - ill or destitute, or shamed in some way. Just like now, in fact. I doubt if the suicide rate among survivors is different to the normal population.

K

Karin Kasper

To answer Tracey's post about male vs. female suicide methods, I can't quote exact stats, but I do recall reading somewhere that women (on the average) tend to favor less violent methods for killing themselves- drug overdoses, for example- whereas men favor more violent ways- ie., shooting themselves.

J

Jeremy Lee

Don't shooting themselves end their misery faster? I mean, you can still survive on drug overdosing, if you are unlucky, but its 'sure die' for pointing a pistol to your head.

Michael H. Standart

Michael H. Standart

>>Don't shooting themselves end their misery faster? I mean, you can still survive on drug overdosing, if you are unlucky, but its 'sure die' for pointing a pistol to your head.<<

No-o-o-o-o-o-o....it really isn't. I won't go into any gory or gruesome details, but suffice to say it is possible to screw up a self inflicted wound to the head and survive said suicide attempt.

C

Chris Dohany

quote:

suffice to say it is possible to screw up a self inflicted wound to the head and survive said suicide attempt.
Take, for example, Dr. Washington Dodge, who shot himself but lingered for several days before dying.​

J

Jeremy Lee

Oh yes. I just read today's papers, and it reported that a Singaporean travelling to Malaysia was shot in the head twice in a robbery attempt and survived a few days until dying on last Saturday.

John Clifford

John Clifford

BTW, was it ever explained why Phyllis Quick chose to shoot herself?

J

Jeremy Lee

Because she wanted to die!
Lame

John Clifford

John Clifford

Thank you, Jeremy. That seems to settle the issue of all the survivors who took their own lives.

My question was whether Phyllis Quick was suffering some form of depression, or could have been diagnosed with a fatal disease.
Had she been estranged from family or friends? Had someone she'd known just died?
Or did she, like actress Clara Bandick ("Aunty Em") decide that "it was time to go"?

Did her sister Winnifred Van Tongerloo talk about it? Especially as Phyllis' parents both survived her.

J

Jeremy Lee

I don't think her sister ever talked about it, and I couldn't find any resources stating why she wanted to kill herself.

Most of the sources that I have read tried to evade the subject why she killed herself.

My guess would be marriage problems.