1. Welcome to Encyclopedia Titanica
    or subscribe for unlimited access to ET! You can also login with , or !
    Dismiss Notice

Survivors - "We Actually Cheered"

Discussion in 'On the Night of the 14th April' started by Aaron_2016, Oct 11, 2018 at 10:50 PM.

1. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

When the Titanic went down the survivors heard a chorus of screams and yells, but some of them thought the victims were cheering with happiness. Perhaps it was too traumatic for many survivors to accept what they were hearing and they chose to believe the victims were cheering and not screaming. This resulted in several lifeboats cheering back with rejoice. Such a horrible mistake to make. Do you believe this false optimism delayed the response of the lifeboats to return and pick up survivors because they assumed the 'big cheer' was not a valid reason to return to the scene?

Survivor Edith Rosenbaum
    "Preceding the sinking of the boat, there was a loud cry, as if emanating from one throat. The men in our boat asked the women to cheer, saying 'Those cheers that you hear on the big boat mean they have all gotten into lifeboats and are saved.' and do you know, that we actually cheered, believing that the big shout was one of thanksgiving."

Titanics1ca.png

Survivor Frank Evans
    "We heard these cries, but we took them to be the boats that went away from the starboard side of the ship; that they were cheering one another, sir.
    Q - Giving them encouragement?
    A - Giving them encouragement, sir.
    Q - Did you not hear the cries of anyone in distress?
    A - No, sir.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 11:11 PM
    Tags:
  2. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

I don’t think it would be possible for anyone to mistake those screams for cheering with the explosive sounds and the chaotic movements of the ship that everyone could see.

3. Ryan Burns

Ryan Burns Member

This is obviously just a theory, but I bet that most of the screams they heard likely occurred before the ship completely foundered. We know there are plenty of accounts from survivors saying they heard people in the water yelling for help after the ship sank, and I have no doubt those are credible, but the duration of those screams couldn't have lasted very long at all, perhaps just a couple of minutes. I recall seeing or reading somewhere about how people that fall into a frozen lake or whatever lack the ability to scream for help. It has something to do with the extreme cold shock your body goes into when submerged in freezing water. It's such a shock to your system that vocalizing to any large degree is taken away very quickly.

4. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

I agree with that assessment as Edith Rosenbaum said the screaming/cheering occurred immediately before the ship sank. Mr. Dillon swam to safety after the ship sank and he said it was too cold for the victims to scream out - "I came among a lot of people groaning. It was too cold it seemed for them to cry out, and it was a horrible row."

Lady Duff-Gordon was asked:
    Q - Did you hear after the Titanic had sunk the cries of the people who were drowning?
    A - No; after the Titanic sank I never heard a cry.
    Q - You never heard anything?
    A - No, not after the Titanic sank.
    Q - Did not you hear cries at all?
    A - Yes, before she sank; terrible cries.
    Q - Before she sank?
    A - Yes.
    Q - Did you see her sink?
    A - I did.
    Q - You mean you heard nothing at all after that?
    A - My impression was that there was absolute silence.

Mr. Hyman said - "The cry was blood curdling and never stopped until the Titanic went down, when it seemed to be sort of choked off. The cry is ringing in my ears now and always will."

Frank Evans was in a lifeboat on the port side and he thought the screams were coming from people in the lifeboats on the starboard side of the ship.

Miss. Allen was in Boxhall's boat and she said - "When Boxhall lit his first light (green light) the screams grew louder and then died down." Mrs. Collins was on the boat deck and he said - "I had the child in my arms, and I looked back at her stern end and I saw a green light." Just moments later the ship appeared to explode and took a violent lurch.

The above accounts I believe present an indication that the loud screams were heard when the ship broke apart and her stern took a violent roll which resulted in a chorus of screams as hundreds of people were literally chucked into the sea, as Mr. Joughin said - "She gave a great list over to port and threw everybody in a bunch.....She threw them over.....She chucked them....they were piled up." Q - Were there hundreds? A - "Yes, there were more than that, many hundreds, I should say."

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 7:00 PM
  5. Kyle Naber

Kyle Naber Member

This was probably the case right as the stern slipped under, but I'll bet after a few seconds, you'd be able to call out for help again. I remember working at my local pool and having to jump into 40 degree waters (still not as cold, but just for comparison) and the first time, I wasn't able to control my breathing. It was very chaotic and they grew very short and I couldn't say anything for a moment. After a while I got "used" to it (but it was still extremely cool to feel and I never was comfortable in it).

6. Aaron_2016

Aaron_2016 Member

Edit timed out - Meant to say 'Mr. Collins' and not Mrs.