Susan Romanyuk returning to the Titanic fold

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

In a land far, far away.....well Northwestern Oregon at least :)

As with most all people here, my interest in Titanic was piqued with Walter Lord's A Night To Remember. That was at the age 9 years old. I read the book, and really did not give to much thought until I watched the movie ANTR one Saturday. I was totally hooked!

Through the last 30 odd years I have collected a massive library of over 135 books. I now have paintings, art prints, calendars etc in my office, which is refered to as my 'Titanic Museum'. I even have a Beken of Cowes huge art print of Titanic's Starboard side, which just to frame it cost a small fortune.

My main interest is Titanic, of course. Due to cancer and surgery in 1997 I have had to scale back my participation in forums and groups. I am a more quiet type now with a few posts here and there. My interest is more general now, just keeping the story of Titanic alive for future generations.

I have mentored various school districts in 1997 for National History Day (their chosen subject was Titanic). I had also done a presentation at the local Community College in East Contra Costa County in California. The highlight for me was attending the THS '97 convention where I met John Clifford and Bill Wormstedt. There I also met Milvina Dean, such a sweet lady.

I am happy to be here in this group, and will post occasionally. I have really been enjoying reading the posts from such knowledgable folks such as yourselves :))

Ok George, my brother, I finally made it here :)

Susan Romanyuk
Newberg, Oregon

Dec 12, 1999
Gosh, Susan,
It's a small world. I live in, and my kids attend school within the Mount Diablo School District in Central Contra Costa County. Look under the "General" internet sites in "Links," you may find something interesting. Welcome, aboard.

Dec 2, 2000
Welcome Susan!
135 books, wow, and I thought my bunch was a lot. I only have a few compared to you!

I'll bet the artwork is beautiful. And you sound like a beautiful person too!

My daughter lives in LA. Maybe if I ever get out that way again, I can make it out to see you. Just to say hello.
I look forward to your posts.
Maureen.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Susan!

Welcome aboard! You have 135 books?! That's amazing! I have 33 books and tons of other stuff of the great liner. Sounds like the artwork is really quite beautiful. Do you belong to any of the societies?

Looking forward to your posts.

Best regards,

Jason D. Tiller

Hi Susan!

Welcome
happy.gif
135 books huh? Maybe someday I could catch up to you if I don't continue to pick up new historical interests. Now along with the Civil War (American) photography books and the Titanic books I've started in with books on woman's suffrage. Egads!

Interesting to hear that you helped with National History Day. I served as a judge last year for the first time. It is a great event, nothing better than seeing kids excited about history. Here's hoping I never have to judge a project on Titanic, the kids would win in my books just for having such great taste!

Anyhow, glad to have you aboard.

Best,
Bonnie

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
135 books? You ought to see what I've got crammed into my room. Not all Titanic of course since I have a braod base of interests in history, and aviation as well. I look forward to hearing more from you.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

To All,

My library is rather big. I never lack of Titanic books to read. I thought I had my collection complete at 75 books, then I started receiving from friends and relatives some very rare first edition books like A Night To Remember, and Marshall Everett's book The Story of the Wreck of the Titanic (this book is so old it is literally falling apart) to name a few. What I am most proud of is the art work. That I have been aquiring only in the last few years.

I have branched out to include history of the great ocean liners of the past. I have a smallish library on that and my favorite is the Queen Mary.

To Bill Wormstedt, tell Barb Hi for me, and I hope that the THS convenion moves to the West Coast (QM again). To George, my brother; Thanks for steering me to this group. Lots of friendly people here.

To all, thanks for the warm welcome to such a fine group of people. :))

Susan R.
Newberg, Oregon

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo, Susan -

I well recall some of your posts from one of the other forums, as well as your website - and reading about your heroic battle with cancer (your post on the subject came not too long after I lost a family member to the disease and had a narrow miss with another, so it had quite an impact).

Glad to see you - and your books - here :)

Inger

S

Susan L. Romanyuk

Hello,

I was a member of this group some time ago. I am now returning to discuss my favorite ship. As some of you may know, I have been involved in Titanic research for over 30 years. I have been a mentor for school children (mostly 3rd and 4th graders) in an elementary school in Iowa for the last 5 years. Take care and looking forward to some lively discussion.

Susan R.
Newberg, oregon

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Sis!

Nice to see you here again -- welcome back! :)

Sincerely,

George

[Moderator's Note: The messages from 2000 and those from 2003 were once separate threads, which have now been combined. MAB]

Feb 21, 2003
I have came out of lurkdom and rejoin the human race. I thought after my battle with cancer things would look up for me, but alas that was not to ne. Suffered two deaths in our family, the most recent one was my beloved sister, who left us on Thanksgiving 2007. Well Titanic has always brought me comfort so we will see if that is true for this too.

Jun 12, 2004
Sorry to hear about the Cancer, Susan. I've lost a few aunts to both Cancer and Leukemia, so that is pretty close to me as well.

You don't know me, as I came during the summer of 2004, but I hope we have a chance to get to know one another on the forum.

Welcome back!
smile.gif

MRH

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear you've had a rough time lately. A couple of friends of mine have been battling cancer; one of them is a close friend and she has been battling it for two years. Sadly, she is losing the battle.

Anyway, good to see you back.

Apr 11, 2001
Welcome back, Susan. I joined only one month before you did back in 2000- after the death of my Dad from cancer on one sad night, and have found many happy hours and good friends here ever since.