Sydney Australia Events for Next Year

Philip Mallon

Sep 5, 2011
Hello all
I am planning two events here:
* An Engineering Reappraisal of Titanic - from a systems engineering view and to include all disciplines. Event will be at Engineers Australia in April 2012. See Nov 2011 Shipbuilding mag from Engineers Australia
* Titanic Through the Movies - I will screen and critique some of the older movies for u3a (University of the third age - for seniors) at Parramatta,Sydney. 5 sessions starting from 8th March 2012. The text for this is Professor Jeffery Richards book " The Definite Titanic Film: A Night to Remember"
If you are planning any other events here in Sydney please let me know
Phil Mallon

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Hallo Philip - very intersting! We're looking at Titanic related events here at the Australian National Maritime Museum to tie in with a small memorial exhibition, and there might be some interesting synergies there with the programs you mention. Please PM me if you're interested in discussing this.

Philip Mallon

Sep 5, 2011
Update on the event: Thurs 12th April 1/2 day event at Chatswood, Sydney Head Office of Engineers Australia. Starts with the myths of the Titanic using screening of Night to Remember and after 5 - Engineering of Titanic.
Focus: Popular culture (myths), Systems Engineering & communications. Hope to include mock up of the radio system. Concludes with a panel of experts. Looking for expert to present electrical and mechanical systems of Titanic.
Collaboration and learning site: http://lessonsfromhistory.info
Phil

Philip Mallon

Sep 5, 2011
A five week course on popular culture of Titanic using movies will start 8th March at Seniors Leisure Centre, Parramatta.
Movies include: "Night to Remember", German 1942 "Titanic" and USA 1953 "Titanic" with trailers of the others including "Atlantic" and White Star advertising promo of the Olympic.
This is for members of u3a (University of the Third Age - for seniors and retirees). There are still places on the course and membership of u3a only costs $55/yr for all courses. The course has a website at: http://lessonsfromhistory.info
Phil

Philip Mallon

Sep 5, 2011
Titanic at the Movies starts tomorrow at u3a Parramatta not next week. Five sessions

[Moderator's notes: 1. This post and the one above it, posted in a separate thread in this topic have been merged with this one. 2. Please do not post multiple threads on the same subject - stick to one thread. JDT]