Sydney II Found

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>It's published by HarperCollins, which won't hurt either.<<

It would be amazing if Amazon didn't list it at some point. Hope you get to use that voucher of yours soon. If you want something signifigant, it would be hard to top this one.

Dec 8, 2000
Heh. I dunno, there's quite a few books ahead of it in the queue...

But, I digress. Popped out to the post office and managed to swing by one of my favourite bookshops on the way back, where I discovered there's a prominent display of the book. They're obviously banking on it selling well, and I don't think that's misplaced based on a quick flip through. For me, it's definitely a 'must have' rather than a 'borrow' despite all my current bookculling activities.

Thanks again, Richard.

Dec 8, 2000
In the news today, the findings of the Defence inquiry into the sinking of HMAS Sydney:
quote:

Nearly 70 years after the sinking of the pride of the Australian Navy, HMAS Sydney, by the German raider Kormoran, an inquiry has blamed the Australian warship's captain for its loss with all 645 crew.

HMAS Sydney vanished on November 19, 1941, 112 nautical miles off the Western Australian coast after a brutal battle with the raider, which was disguised as a Dutch merchant ship.

The inquiry was headed by former judge Terence Cole, who said Sydney's commander Captain Joseph Burnett inexplicably brought his ship to within 1000 metres of the Kormoran, which in naval gunnery terms was "point blank range".
See http://www.theage.com.au/national/hmas-sydney-inquiry-blames-captain-for-worst-naval-disaster-20090812-ehsd.html for more.

While anyone who could answer the 'inexplicable' is long gone to the bottom of the sea, at least the inquiry has also dealt with the various conspiracy theories and declared no evidence of a Government cover up.

The report was released today at the Australian War Memorial, Canberra. For full information see the Department of Defence page on HMAS Sydney: http://www.defence.gov.au/sydneyii/ The report should also be available online there soon.​

Dec 8, 2000
For any locals thinking about purchasing their very own copy of The Search for the Sydney by David L Mearns, a friend just rang me from Big W to let me know they've got the book for $20. I hope she's wrong... all the same, Big W do knock around 35% off the recommended retail price.

Shame I've already used my book voucher, eh.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Very fitting tribute at the time of Rememberance Day, 11/11/11, to remember those who lost their lives not just on the HMAS Sydney or in any sea disaster during wartime, but for everybody who lost their lives during wartime. Lest we forget!

Cheers,
Adam.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Lest we forget!<<

This is the reason I put an emphesis on Veteren's Day/Remembrence Day stories yesterday when I was covering the naval interest stories yesterday.

Valour has an evergreen quality to it which should never be forgotten. The people who were at the core of those stories paid for the freedoms we enjoy with their blood and all too often, their lives!