Table Lamps Myth

Nigel Bryant

Aug 1, 2010
Wellington, New Zealand
Hello all,

I have been told by many fine people that the lamps were not installed and I agree. But what I was wondering was there going to be any intention of any lamps going to be installed in the Saloon at all. Is it just another myth.

If Titanic was going to be installed with lamps the Olympic would of been the same. Eric Sauder pointed out to me that the Olympic never ever had DS lamps ever installed. So when Titanic sank what would they do with some 300 (guess) table lamps? Daniel Klistorner told that some of Britannic's furniture was transferred to the Olympic after Britannic's loss. Surely White Star would transfer Titanic's lamps onto the Olympic after she sank? What would they do with some 300 lamps? Putting them on the Olympic would be the best bet, but yet there are no photographs I have seen with them installed.

Yes, there are period brochures depicting the Saloon with lamps but remember this is based on the Olympic, yet we see no lamps on her.Is this a bit of false advertising. I guess brochures would normally exaggerate the elegance of the interior spaces. Like the Restaurant size in a brochure in "Illustrated History".

Did this lamp saga only start after Cameron's movie portraying the DS set with lamps? Like the carpet issue as well.

The same with the Restaurant on B-deck, I have never came across of photographs showing the A La Carte Restaurant with lamps, only drawings of the room?

So is this just a myth that started after Cameron's movie release? Was there any intention of putting them onboard the Titanic at all?

Regards,

Nigel

Dec 7, 2000
Good point, that there were no lamps installed on the Olympic either. Other than there were no lamps on the Titanic - I have nothing further to add on this issue.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think that some of the furniture that was intended for Titanic was also put on the Olympic after her sinking.

As for the restaurant illustration, here's a useless tidbit. It came from a mustard advertisement in mid 1911 (that I have seen - I'm sure it was used elsewhere).

Daniel.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
This is a debatable topic , and I'm not quite sure. The 1997 film set for the first class dining room showed lamps on its tables, and that period brochure did too that you mentioned, but this team called Honor and Glory states that they couldn't find evidence of the dining room or the verandah café having such centerpieces. Except I disagree, because there would have been more than just ceiling lights in the first class dining room and staterooms.

Charles

Mar 28, 2015
USA
Then maybe there were candles , because I know the A La Carte Restaurant had pink roses according to Mrs. Walter Douglas.