Tattoos

Leah Stoler

May 19, 2009
I don't know if someone's posted anything like this before, but I wasn't able to find it, if they have so, here goes nothing!

I know that some of the recovered bodies of victims from the Titanic were described to have had tattoos. Are there any pictures in existance of the tattoos that these people had? And also, did any survivors have any? I'm just curious, because I know that back then it was less common to get a tattoo, than it is today, and would love to know what the style was, back then.

Nov 11, 2005
Well, depending on your job, back then, getting or having a tattoo was not uncommon. Mind you it would be a hell of a lot more painful, but i imagine many of the people getting the tattoos, would have been drinking.
Seamen, explorers, and just generally those who's life consisted of travelling or any circus/performer type image, probably had tattoos. Many of Titanic's sailors/fremen/crew had tatts, and that was used as a helping hand in identification.
When bodies were being examined, everything, tattoos included, were marked down, and no doubt, due to the uniqueness of tattoos, they were photographed as well.
I imagine many survivors had tattoos, and many probably got them.

Mar 20, 2007
Actually, you'd be surprised. Edith, Marchioness of Londonderry, famously acquired a tattoo during a trip to the East in 1903. It was of a snake, coiled around her ankle and lower leg, and was exposed to public view when hemlines rose in the 1920s.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Women with tattoos are a dime a dozen in Australia.

I wonder how they will feel when they are in the old folk's homes, fifty years from now.

May 27, 2007
quote:

So it would appear. I see a lot of them these days, even down here in the Buckle of The Bible Belt.

How True! Missouri girls love their tattoos. My sister-in-law has her children's names on a band around her ankle. My ex has our daughter's name and her son's name intertwined on her upper arm as well. Also a Black Rose on her thigh. It's sexy. My brother has a Medieval Sun illustration on his shoulder. Today it depends on the Lady or Gentleman's Job. My sister the Pharmacist loved removable Tattoos because they fade pretty quick or she could wash them off. Although now she has some permanent ones.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I wonder how they will feel when they are in the old folk's homes, fifty years from now.<<

Probably pretty silly if some have a skull and crossbones (I've seen that) or others with, to put it politely, "Non Family Friendly" content.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
We ancients recall a recorded monologue called On Behalf of the Working Classes. There's quite a bit about 'my old woman'.

'She has a battleship tattooed across her chest. When I first knew her, it was only a rowing boat!'

'Every night she sits in front of the fire, knitting wire netting with a pair of crowbars.'

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Oh Lydia oh Lydia, say have you met Lydia,
Oh Lydia the Tattooed Lady.
When her muscles start relaxin’,
Up the hill comes Andrew Jackson.

Lydia oh Lydia, that encyclo-pidia,
Oh Lydia the queen of them all!

For two bits she will do a mazurka in jazz,
With a view of Niagara that nobody has.
And on a clear day you can see Alcatraz.
You can learn a lot from Lydia.

May 27, 2007
When I was naming my daughter the baby name book we used had a reference to that song under the name Lydia. We were thinking about it because it began with an L not because of the song. They said that kids of my generation would think that Lydia the Tattooed Lady was cool. They were probably right. Lydia the Tattooed Lady does sound like an awesome lady at that. I bet any of you could go into one of the hot clubs and meet yourselves a Lydia like that. Even here in Missouri.

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
I see lots of girls here that have tattoos (here in the south - though I am sure these are everywhere) - my teenage sons call the tattoos "Tramp Stamps" - cause they are on the lower back right above the tailbone - right where the top of their jeans (pants) end...... wonder how those will look years from now.... :eek:)

T

Timothy Trower

They have their place ... and I've seen some on ex-Marines from WWII that still showed up well ... but a tramp stamp on a 90 year old is going to look silly.