Telegraph system

Andy Carter

Feb 11, 2018
Hi,

how did the bridge Telegraphs connect to the engine room and where did the connections run?

Thx Andy

Lars Lunden

May 21, 2016
Norway
There was also an illuminating telegraph system for controlling the dynamos. In addition a bell would sound. The illustration shows a need for more speed on main dynamo # 3.
?temp_hash=897581b88c00bf09a87b88111e77a56f.png

Dynamo telegraph s.png

Reactions: Rancor

A. Gabriel

Jun 13, 2018
Philippines
This query just occurred to me now, after sighting the incorrect telegraph dials in THG's print of the navigating bridge: how could two different engine order telegraph units (the two outermost ones) send orders to the same engine?

Shown here, the proposed (and most likely correct) arrangement of the EOT connections, from the Marconigraph article linked above:

upload_2018-8-8_3-58-24.jpeg

My question is how could the two main EOTs transmit to the same dial in the engine room — were they coupled? Would this mean that every time the engineers sent their answer back, both units in the bridge would show it? Would sending an order on the port main telegraph force the handle on the starboard main telegraph to move to the same position?

Lars Lunden

May 21, 2016
Norway
Yes; they where interconnected. Both handles would move, and both dials would move when engine room responded to the order.

313_Iron

Mar 4, 2019
Please forgive me if I come off as inexperienced. I have been into Titanic since 2nd grade.

I have seen the 1997 James Cameron Titanic movie, and when I recently re-watched the movie, I got to the scene in the movie when Captain Smith orders Titanic to go “Full ahead.” During that scene the Titanic’s Telegraph was moved backwards all the way and then fully forwards. Is this a necessary thing to do? If so does the Telegraph need to be moved three times when changed from say, reverse engines (say full astern) to another level of reversed engines (say half astern)?

Also is the movie’s way of showing how the ship’s telegrapgh works inaccurate in any way?

Doug Criner

Dec 2, 2009
USA
I have no recollection of the movie's portrayal of the engine order telegraph. And I'm unsure if Ahead Full was ever rung down after the accident. But, if the EOT is nudged up just one notch, it will ring once. If it moves up (or down) two notches, then it will ring twice, etc. I seem to recall in my ancient memory, that when calling down a special or emergency order the telegraph might first be exercised back and forth before stopping on the new speed order. That would send a series of bells to positively get the engine room's attention.