Terrible Artifact Treatment

M

Matt Pereira

Well leave it to pakistan to take and do something stupid. I mean who would want to consider taking Steel from Titanic and turning it into a watch. Coal i wouldnt have a problem with, Look on ebay and you can find all kinds of jewlery that is made from coal retrieved from Titanic but coal isnt the same as taking a piece of the ship itself and burning it down to make a watch.

S

sashka pozzetti

I hope you don't mind me saying this, but that is a bit of a wild generalisation about Pakistan. I think it is the journalist and the newspaper that is stupid.

M

Matt Pereira

True, I shouldnt have said that. Wasnt in too good of a mood already when I saw the link.

Either way thinking over it, Kinda hard to belive that, that is really real steel from Titanic. Not easy to id especially by the builder after so many years.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
What gets me is the way a lot of respondants to this story have assumed that it's true, without really questioning whether or not it really is. Seriously, if this is Titanic steel, where did they get it from and how was it verified?

How do we know this isn't really a hoax on somebody's part?

Bill Willard

Mar 24, 2001
Michael, one of the reports i've read about this is that the steel was recovered in 1991 and purchased from an unnamed source. The expedition that was there in 1991 has been rumored to be the same group that took the statue of the Artemis, seen in National Georgraphic.

It must be made clear that RMS Titanic, then under the leadership of George Tulloch, was NOT involved in this recovery and sale of the steel, if the claims in the story are correct.

Bill

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Thanks for that Bill. I didn't think even for a moment that RMSTI had anything whatever to do with this. That 1991 expedition would be a likely suspect if this story is true. What exactly do we know about these people?