Terrible Deaths

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
"Hi, well, get used to it. It happened. Baker Joughin! It's well documented."

Firstly, Carl, if you're suggesting that Joughin was definitely drunk (contrary to Joughin's denial) I'd like to know where it is "well documented". Primary sources, please.

Secondly, might I suggest that telling another member to "get used to it" is hardly good netiquette.

Jason D. Tiller

Dec 3, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Carl,

Hi, well, get used to it. It happened. Baker Joughin! It's well documented.
Where does it say that? I haven't seen it anywhere. When you are citing a primary source here, you must indicate which source it is. The rest of us do.

As Paul said, Charles Joughin denied that he was drunk and he says so in his testimony:

6246. You simply stood back to assist the women and children to get in? - We stood back till the Officers should give us the word, and we never got it, so that we never jumped for the boat.

6247. When you found your boat had gone you said you went down below. What did you do when you went down below? - I went to my room for a drink.

6248. Drink of what? - Spirits.

The Commissioner: Does it very much matter what it was?

Mr. Cotter: Yes, my Lord, this is very important, because I am going to prove, or rather my suggestion is, that he then saved his life. I think his getting a drink had a lot to do with saving his life.

The Commissioner: He told you he had one glass of liqueur.

6249. (Mr. Cotter.) Yes. (To the Witness.) What kind of a glass was it? - It was a tumbler half-full.

6250. A tumbler half-full of liqueur? - Yes.
For the rest of his testimony, click HERE.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>Hi, well, get used to it. It happened. Baker Joughin! It's well documented.<<

Well documented where? See the two responses above and beware the legends which get started based on questionable origins. Titanic has a lot of them.

T. Eric Brown

Jun 5, 2005
>>beware the legends which get started based on questionable origins. Titanic has a lot of them.<<

That's the God's truth. I've lost count of how many different legends and flights of fancy I've heard about the Titanic. Titanic probably has more legends about it than most other tragedies, certainly shipwrecks. It's just insane. I'm sure I made up a few in my younger years. I was never skeptical about the Murdoch suicide legend until a year or two ago. Until recently, I'd always assumed that that was known fact. So, like Mike said, be careful of stray info. Always look at new Titanic info with a measure of skepticism.

Oct 12, 2004
This thread is kind of old, but I wanted to chime in on hypothermia. The beginning phases are rather tough for a victim as their body is shaking and breathing is difficult. The shakes are the body's way to generate enough heat to sustain life. However, at the end, the body realizes its fighting for life and releases all the heat it can. Hypothermia sufferers who survive report a massive wave of warmth taken them over right before losing consciousness. I guess, in the end, it might not be so bad. Granted I dont want to experience it (I thought I was a goner when my crew shell capsized in april and I had to tread water for an hour, it was spring and it was Southern California.......yeah, ok, im a wuss)

Sorry, but I think that we are forgetting something very important here, what about Andrews, Titanic´s designer? The ship was his brainchild, and it must have been terrible for him to witness the destruction of his greatest achievement. Besides, he was as the smoking room as the ship broke up, so he did notice the destruction his ship suffered, not mentioning the horrible death he suffered some seconds after that.

[MAB: This thread, originally in the "Collision/Sinking Theories" topic, has been moved to this subtopic addressing the same general subject. MAB]