Testers wanted

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
This is a rather tentative announcement about a new feature for ET. For quite a while now I have wanted to base the site on a database rather than static pages which are difficult to update. The first stage in this plan is now ready for testing. It is a searchable passenger list - what, you thought we already had that - well this one is different. If you are interested in helping me get this right take a look at this page.

There are undoubtedly errors and bugs but I would appreciate constructive criticism and ideas.

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Nice looking page Mr. Hind.

I am new here, only about a month but there is no where else to be for an addict such as myself!

Thank you, Don

J

Jemma Hyder

Phil,

I like it. The summary is a very useful thing to have if you want top pull a small bit of info quickly and there is the option to open up more detail if you want it.

happy.gif
Jemma

May 9, 2001
That's a good interface. Is there anyway to add additional fields like age, or sex?

This spreadsheet result format is so much easier for me personally to use that I hope you keep the idea. I enjoy reading the passenger bios the first time, but after that all I may need is the key data like age, sex, address, etc.

Is that an Access interface?

Yuri

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Theoretically you can search on any field I have only set up a few as examples.

The database is designed in Access and transferred to Mysql for the website.

May 8, 2001
Does this mean I can stop pestering Phil Gowan?
wink.gif
Being able to seperate the grouping by state, country and so on is a super idea. keep up the great work.
Colleen

Paul Rogers

Nov 30, 2000
West Sussex, UK
Looks good to me!

One question: The DoB format within the "Summary" page is listed as: "6 9 1874" (for example). Although it's easy to check by linking to the biography, those simply having a quick look on the Summary page could be confused by not knowing what format is being used for the date.

To clarify, searchers may be thinking: Is the date format American (Month/Day) or British (Day/Month)? From experimenting, I can see that it's British format BTW!

I can see this search facility being really useful to researchers. Brilliant job Phil.

Regards,
Paul.

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
Does this mean I can stop pestering Phil Gowan?

I doubt that day will ever come.

The DoB format within the "Summary" page is listed as: "6 9 1874"

It does say at the bottom of the page but I admit it is confusing and will be changed to be 6 September 1875 once I have worked out how to do it.

Dec 8, 2000
"If you are interested in helping me get this right take a look at this page."

Aaagh.

Phil, I'd happily take a squiz but as I'm travelling steerage on this board and your email had no link...

However, the feedback from everyone else has my curiosity piqued. Would some kind soul take pity and let me through to first class to take a gander at the Grand Staircase? I've been unable to find access to the page in question from the deck.

TIA, Fiona

May 8, 2001
Phil. What if the cause of death was attributed to more than one thing? (Examples: Ruth Becker and Bruce Ismay.) Will the list have a secondary cause and/or will the victims be listed in more than one place?
Colleen

Tony Sheils

Jan 6, 2001
I like the useful summaries, which might be even more useful for research purposes if surviving females have their married names added. On the other hand these can often be found in the ET biographies.

One lady (Barbara Joyce West) is listed as Date of Death "unknown". As far as I know she celebrated her 91st birthday yesterday!

Sep 20, 2000
Dang! Papa Hind, you have outdone yourself. Not only is it chock full of nifty new options, but it's also amazingly quick. (LOVE the new group selection categories.)

The only suggestion I would make -- for the sake of international clarity -- is the substitution of the dd/MMM/yyyy date format ("5 JUN 2002") for that straight numeric version ("5 6 2002"). We Yanks can certainly figure it out, but the 3-LETTER month abbreviation removes all the guess work and (hopefully) makes life easier for everybody.

That assumes, of course, that it's not additional effort for you.

Bravo!
John Feeney

P.S. Well, now that I've read the *whole* thread, I see you've already got that covered. (Oops.)

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
One lady (Barbara Joyce West) is listed as Date of Death "unknown".

Thanks for pointing this one out, the subroutine didn't differentiate between someone whose death date was unknown and one who was not dead, luckily there is another column for this (!) so it was easy to fix

http://www.encyclope dia-titanica.org/db/ summary.php?master_I D=602

Do let me know other anomalies.

Regading cause of death at present I have only listed principle cause of death but there is nothing to stop the addition of secondary causes.

May 8, 2001
Yes, (example) in the case of Ruth Becker, it is a catch 22. She may have died as a principal cause of malnutrition and dehydration, but the underlying reason was that if a gastrointestinal hemorrhage.
None the less, keep up the great work!!!

Dec 2, 2000
Phil, I have a question. What is the age cut off between child and adult for the search? Is it 12? Was there is a difference between the age classification of child and adult for the fares or was it by some other method? Do you use the same classification as was used by the White Star Line?

Philip Hind

Editor
Staff member
Sep 1, 1996
England
13 is the cut off. I mulled this over with someone at the BTS convention and the conclusion was that children over this age would likely be in work, certainly in the poorer families. Amongst the rich ones even some of the thirty and forty year olds weren't working much! I don't know if there was any official cut off, again if this arbitrary cut off seems wrong let me know.

On ages, I haven't yet found a way of working out how to include 9m, 11m etc in the ages unless you can cope with 0.7 years or something like that. I am sure there is a way around this but at present those ages are rounded up or down with an indication in the notes.