The 1910 bFrankensteinb film and other examples of early horror in cinema

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Probably the first made in the US, and certainly a contender for the first ever. At the tail end of the nineteenth century the French pioneer Georges Melies was making films in which human characters were tormented by devils, vampires and other monsters. These efforts were only a couple of minutes long, had no narrative structure and were not really horrific by later standards, but they were certainly intended to shock as well as amuse the audience.

Jan 7, 2002
There were some great horror classics in the 1920s- The Haxan, Nosferatu, the Golem, Cabinet of Dr Calgari-
When were the silent films 'Hunchbach Of Notre Dame' and 'Phantom of the opera' released? I'm guessing around 1923.

Jan 7, 2002
Bob, I'm not sure who portrayed Frankenstein's monster from the 1910 film- but he was a horrifying monster- not unlike Max Schrek as the vampire in the 1921 Nosferatu.

If anyone is interested, the 1910 Frankenstein film can be viewed on Google Video.
It's interesting to know that film was made when Titanic was still under construction.

May 27, 2007
Of Course there's the lost Silent Film "London After Midnight". But the last print was burned up in a fire at the MGM vaults in 1965
sad.gif
I believe TCM as restored the Film using production pictures. It isn't the same though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_After_Midnight_(film)
Cut and paste above link

Tarn you should check out the Ballyhoo Jazz thread. I've having a mini-horror-film renaissance there.

May 27, 2007
Yep! here I be. It's a given that if the thread be about film or silent film I have posted in it. Although I think your on the road looking for Ballyhoo, Alyson. So back up to Amusements and diversions and look for the Jazz Age and then you've found the treasure of all things Ballyhoo.

Aly Jones

Nov 22, 2008
Australia
Things you do for me now LOL.

Where is James Moody Bio crews list in people tab?
Is it on the Home page of ET? I looked there and i can't find it.Is it in the message board topics area?

May 27, 2007
Hi Alyson
Yep at the top of the page. Encyclopedia Titanica is on the left of the screen and the taps are in black and on the right. There are also Home Tab and Contribute Tab and Membership Tab. You probably used them. There's also the Articles Tab which will take you right to the the article section which would be another way to find Inger's articles on Moody.

Status
Not open for further replies.