The aerodynamic "wings" on A deck

uly

Feb 10, 2018
Good evening gentlemen.

I do believe I have spotted something I'm not sure anyone else has yet.

On A deck, in the forward promenade, between the stairs and the rooms A3-3 and A4-3, it is to my current knowledge believed to be a 90 degree corner inwards, as seen on the deck plans for this website. However upon closer examination I feel she was fitted with an angled aerodynamic concave look that appear to look like her "wings" that are also concave and slicked back, and I strongly believe it was styled more like this.
winglet thing.png
TitanicAdeckWings.jpg

Ajmal Dar

Jan 5, 2018
Nottingham
Dear Uly,

I doubt Harland sloped the corners back for aerodynamic reasons. The whole of the front end of boat deck, A deck and B deck are styled like a brick with no attention to aerodymamics. Thats how it looks to me anyway. So slicking back two corners would make if any improvement to the aerodynamics.

All the best,

Ajmal

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Don't discount aesthetics and style. Practical engineering considerations always takes pride of place but after that, it has to look good. A lot of what you saw on the Titanic...as with any other liner...would in fact be eye candy!

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
In terms of nautical eye candy, the 4th funnel alone was there for aesthetic reasons (in fact all the funnels were tilted back to give the illusion of speed).

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
It wasn't!?! :eek: Please explain.

(Also I know it was used for ventilation, storage and as the public were deceived into thinking more = a safer ship, but if it hadn't been added they would have just added more ventilators and cargo areas around the ship.)

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Ventilation yes (it saved them several vents on the boat deck) storage no. There were no storage there.
It was used as mentioned mainly for ventilation of the turbine engine room as well as the different galleys and panties as well as an exhaust for the galleys, bakeries, pantries & smoke of the fireplace in the 1st class smoking room (the only one which was full funtion). There are many images from Olympic showing smoke coming from the 4th funnel.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Good to know otherwise, but it was still there for aesthetic reasons since original plans showed only 3 funnels, the Public still thought (incorrectly) more = safety and Cunard / North German Lloyd also had 4 funnels and it might have appeared odd.

Back To Topic!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The Imperator Class had 3 funnels and did not look bad.
I am not sure about any plans existing showing the Olympic & Titanic with 3 funnels (I think there were sketches in the press showing them with 3 funnels & 3 masts). There was a plan & even a model of Lusitania showing with 3 instead of 4 funnels.
Regarding Olympic, the latest plan show the ship with 4 funnels but only 1 mast (the very early version had more masts) but Ismay decided to put 2 masts after he saw the Lusitania.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Either way, Aesthetics played some part in the design since they put 2 non-functioning whistles on the 3rd and 4th Funnels and made all the funnels slightly taller than the previous one to create a bigger illusion of size and perspective.

Back To Topic!

Reactions: Ioannis Georgiou

uly

Feb 10, 2018
Ah yes, the sloped concave corners. Based on the photo of Titanic that was taken you can see a curved look especially in the shading on it, else you’d have seen some sort of vertical line like a corner. But i believe that she had this change made to look just a little more sleek in design. Titanic had a number of changes made to her, this small detail being one of them. It makes sense to style A deck’s corners to be similar to the boat deck’s wings, no?

A

Aaron_2016

The answer might be inside Andrews' design book. You can see a glimpse inside the book here. Would be interesting to see a full copy of the contents.

Skip to 10.10

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Ah yes, the sloped concave corners. Based on the photo of Titanic that was taken you can see a curved look especially in the shading on it, else you’d have seen some sort of vertical line like a corner. But i believe that she had this change made to look just a little more sleek in design. Titanic had a number of changes made to her, this small detail being one of them. It makes sense to style A deck’s corners to be similar to the boat deck’s wings, no?
I am afraid what you see is more a game of light and shadow. I have add here two images showing they were as in the plan.

A Deck.jpg