The Aft Spiral Staircase

Jacob Huller

Sep 17, 2017
Hello all,
I've been looking over the deck plans for Titanic and I'm curious about something, namely the spiral staircase in the aft portion of the ship, leading from the Boat Deck down to D-Deck. What was the purpose of this staircase?

There appear to be entrances to the staircase in both the A La Carte restaurant galley and the First/Second Class Galley, though on the overview of the ship in profile (I am referring to the deck plans available here on this site, by the way) suggests that the spiral staircase leads down into the Engine Room, which would make sense considering the Engineer's Smoking Room is located not too far away from the staircase's outlet on Boat Deck, and it would serve a similar purpose as the firemen's staircase up in the bow.

Am I making sense here?

bee

Aug 7, 2018
It looks like a way for A la carte restaurant employees to get to the restaurant. Their accommodations on E deck give them access to D deck via a stairwell, and then the spiral staircase takes them the rest of the way. The spiral staircase also gives them, and anyone else in the D deck galley, a way to access the Boat deck. Look at the side profile again, the spiral staircase only descends to D deck.

bee

Aug 7, 2018
Furthermore, the Engineers have a crew staircase that comes out on the Boat deck in the 'Engineers' promenade' section. The staircase passes through the 'Lounge and deck pantry' on A deck, a doored-off space amid the B deck cabins, the 'Maids' and Valets' pantry' on C deck, and the middle of the 1st class pantry on D deck. Two further branching staircases beneath that lead, on the port side, to Scotland Road by the cabins for the Engineers' Stewards and Storekeepers (, and on the starboard side, looks like for Help access to the E deck starboard cabins). From Engineers' cabins on F deck accessed via two separate staircases either for the port side or for the starboard side Engineers' cabins, it's only a quick passage through a section of Scotland Road for them to access this (as they pass their Mess hall).

Last edited: