The air exhaust for the forward peak tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul Lee

Both Haines and Hemming speak of an exhaust pipe for the peak tank; they heard it whistling the air out of it shortly after the collision. Where was this located?
Please help save my eyes from scanning the tiny E&H plans!!!

Paul

Others may know better but I would say right forward on the shelter deck. To take sounding pipes etc. up to the actual focslehead would be a design redundancy and would unnecessarily expose the carpenter to the weather.

Noel

Paul Lee

Thanks Noel. I am a bit confused by some of Hemmings BoT testimony:

"At that time the chief officer, Mr. Wilde, put his head around the hawse pipe and says: "What is that, Hemming?" I said: "The air is escaping from the forepeak tank. She is making water in the forepeak tank, but the storeroom is quite dry." He said, "All right," and went away."

What does he meant by "putting his heard around the hawsepipe"? I thought the hawsepipe was at the very tip of the bow?

Paul

S

Scott R. Andrews

Paul,

In addition to the one you are thinking of, remember that there were two other sets of pipes in that compartment for the anchors carried on either side of the bow. At each side, there was a hawse pipe which angled inboard and aft as it passed upwards through the compartment to where it connected with the outlet flange at the head of each chain rail on the open deck above. Further aft, near the windlasses, there was also a chain pipe for each cable that passed through several decks, connecting the chain lockers with the machinery on deck. Within the ship, the cables were completely enclosed.

Given the position of the hawse pipes on either side of the bow (about half way between the stem and WTB "A", and nearly hard against the shell plating at their lower ends), it's likely that there were vent and/or sounding pipes located immediately forward or aft of where these hawse pipes pierced the deck just before entering the top of the hawse opening flange castings.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

"What does he mean by "putting his head around the hawsepipe"? I thought the hawsepipe was at the very tip of the bow?"

This is entirely consistent with my exposition.

The shelterdeck compartment is pierced by four pipes - two vertical spurling pipes conducting the cables between the cable lockers (port and star'd) and the capstans on the foc's'le-head and two inclined hawsepipes conducting the cables outboard from those capstans.

Thus your man could not have been anywhere other than on one side of the shelterdeck and presumably adjacent to the forepeak vent pipe.

The actual hawseholes in the shell plating were in way of D-deck but were just below the level of the shelterdeck at that point.

There was a further 'hawsehole' in the stembar but this was used for mooring to a buoy and was served by a wire-cable reel right for'd.

Noel

You won't find that pipe on the E&H plans. The fore peak tank had a separate sounding and venting pipe. The vent pipe ran up through the shelter deck and terminated just above the floor of the center anchor well next to the anchor shank - port side. It can be seen in wreck footage with the top blown off of it.

Thee guys were hearing the air hissing as it rose out through the pipe

Bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.