The Allison Family Remembered

Aug 29, 2000
The recent visit to the family farm in Ontario brought back in a poignant way the real loss of the tragedy that was Titanic. To stand in the house, walk the paths, and stand at the gravesite of victims of any tragedy, puts a certain humanity to the faces which stare from the pages of books and newspapers. Through the graciousness of the Vanden Bosch family, the Allison Family became real people for me. I learned how very hard Hudson had worked to achieve his fortune, and how dearly he loved his family and hometown. In some small part, I hope this will be conveyed in this two-page tribute.
http://www.revdma2.c om/Allison.html

Beth Barber

Jun 7, 2001
Shelley - What a fantastic tribute! That was very nice of the current owners to let you view the grounds of the Allison Farm. Did they say - have they had a lot of people over the years wanting to see the farm? - Beth in SC

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Shelley,

That is a wonderful tribute.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

Aug 29, 2000
Beth- The house and grounds were opened to the TIS convention guests- as a very special treat. Yes, I suspect many people have wanted a visit over the years- I feel really lucky to have had the chance. Hospitality is second nature to our friends to the North. The city of Ottawa was simply a pristine paradise-municipal planning and pride runs high. I had similar wonderful experiences in Halifax-the natives are friendly-even the Quebecois of Montreal answered in English- a LITTLE disappointing as I was enjoying trying out my French on them. The border is easily crossed, the currency exchange rate is superb and the scenery is breathtaking-so head for the border! I guess after Southampton and Belfast, the one mandatory stop for anyone who ever loved the Titanic story is Halifax- a city filled with memories.

Alan Hustak

Mar 18, 2000
Mrs. Van de Bosch and her husband take great pride in the history of their property and are much more knowledgable about the Allisons than some of the surving Allison family are..They'll accomodate visitors if you call ahead...the worst year, she told me, was when the Titanic movie came out, and people just dropped in from everywhere. Our visit was the first major group though, although they do get about a dozen people a year.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Shelley,

I agree, Halifax is a wonderful city with a lot of Titanic connections. I was there last year for the THS convention and I loved every minute of it. I want to go back as soon as I can, to see the public archives.

In July, I'm off to Dublin, Cobh, Belfast, and Southampton for the THS convention! Then I'm coming home on the QE2 from Southampton to New York!!

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Walter Lord probably did think he had written better books than ANTR. However, "A Night to Remember" will truly rank as a classic.

BTW, Shelly, thanks for the Allison family information.
Next year, I hope to travel to Toronto, and from there I would truly enjoy a trip to Chesterville.
The Allison family story has always been one of the most touching, if not one of the saddest, stories about the Titanic.

John Clifford

Alan Hustak

Mar 18, 2000
Trevor Allison did not keep in contact with any of the maids after the sinking. He was, after all, only a baby -- the household staff did not remain in the household very long after the disaster.
The out of the blue thing wasn't out of the blue when I wrote it...I was on line when I heard Walter had died....and thought I'd let people know. Shudda opened a special page. I do apologize. See my remarks under Walter Lord.....

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
I don't have time to quote text and verse, as I have to get ready for work in a minute, but there is a story of a woman claiming to be Lorraine Allison (a la "Anastasia") who miraculously survived and grew up searching for her "true identity." She showed up after Trevor's untimely death, I believe, and hoped to claim the family fortune, but some of the things she said tipped off the family that she might be connected to Alice Cleaver. Perhaps someone else can provide the interesting details and the reference for you.

Kyrila