The best of the last 10 years

Paul Lee

Aug 11, 2003
After reading Senan's latest excellent research piece, another thought hit me like buckshot on tissue paper. What, apart from Ghosts of the Abyss and James Cameron's Titanic, have been the best new discoveries made about the Titanic in the last ten years? Anything, from a good book, to a brand new unearthed survivors account, to documentary to... anything, really!

Best wishes

Paul

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
From what I've heard of it, Steve Hall and Bruce Beveridge's new book would be a candidate.

One I've personally seen is Who Sailed on Titanic by Debbie Beavis. It's full of solid research and demonstrates the difficulties involved in such an apparently simple matter as making a passenger list.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Interesting question, Paul! I think it very much depends on what personally interests us - I'm sure some of the discoveries relating to the wreck would be paramount in the eyes of certain sections of the Titanic community (Parks' work on reconstructing the marconi material, for example), whereas others would point to discoveries by, say, Phil Gowan and Brian Meister in the area of passengers and crew. You've already mentioned Senan's work, and I have to say I think his book The Irish Aboard Titanic set a new standard in both research and writing on the subject. I regard it as arguably the best new book in a decade.

My answers might not be the same as anyone else's - they concern a cache of personal papers belonging to one of the lost, and the private collection of photographs, objects, scrap books and correspondence that belonged to two of the saved. While there is always more to discover, and some answers will remain forever beyond reach, in these private collections I found what I began my research to find. There are always more puzzles, more detail, more fascinating lives to explore, but I can't imagine that anything will surpass those discoveries for me.

Steven Hall

Dec 17, 2008
Who Sailed on Titanic by Debbie Beavis I found brilliant. I remember talking with her 6 years about the subject.
I believe books are horses for courses. Whatever field takes your fancy.
Regarding Bruce and my self’s book - there has been an avalanche of feedback from people that are fascinated by the actual ship itself.
As many have mentioned to me, without the ship, there would simply be nothing.
Without the ship, there would have been no crew, passengers and no accident to discuss.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I find it facinating to take a good close look at these vessels and take notice of the differences between them. It speaks to just how dynamic and ever evolving the art and science of shipbuilding is, and the book that Bruce and Steve wrote did a masterful job of pointing out those differences. Another resource worth getting is the set of general deck plans that Bruce Beveridge put together. Compare them with the general plans of the Olympic and even there, the differences are startling.

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
You're welcome. I just hope that you and Steve have more in the works. I don't think it's all that well understood just how quickly things change in shipbuilding, or how a series of seemingly trivial modifications can produce two superficially identical vessels with hundreds of differences.