A Night to Remember

The Bible of Titanica

Jan C. Nielsen

Dec 12, 1999
"A Night To Remember" is the book which got most vistors to this site interested in Titanica. It's highly captivating, and without equal in the Titanica realm, even though it was published nearly fifty years ago. It focuses on the night of the sinking. Because it was published so long ago, and republished, and had been so widely read, it is without question the "Bible" of Titanica.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
It's certainly a book to read, but it's not by any means fully accurate. It suffers from the fact that it was written before the discovery of the wreck, which cast new light on several things, notably the breakup of the ship and Carpathia's supposed 17 knot dash.

Many of the errors are trivial. Some of the names are wrong, as you can see on this site, and Lord gets into a fine old mess about the last music, because he did not know enough about how hymns are named. And he started the silly nonsense about the way the wheel turned, because he was a landlubber.

One of the best parts is the coverage of events on Carpathia after the rescue. Lord had access to people who were there, though I'm convinced most of his work comes from the US enquiry and certain books and articles.

ANTR is a great book to start with, but it's not the last word. Lord corrected some of it in "The Night Lives On".

Personally, I don't recommend any Titanic book unreservedly. They all have errors, many of which should have been fixed years ago. Many suffer from being written by landlubbers, who fall down on such basic things as the difference between displacement and Gross Register Tonnage, to say nothing of that bloody wheel. Read plenty and compare. Above all, get back to primary sources if you want to get the facts right.

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
The one thing that bothers me about ANTR is the lack of an Index. I hope that is corrected in future reprints.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
The illustrated edition has an index which is quite complete. For instance, it traces every mention of every lifeboat.

The irritating thing is that the pages which have large illustrations on them have no numbers on them, so finding the page you want is a bit of a pain.

Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2009
Hi Dave:

I tried e-mailing you to say thanks for the information, but the message wouldn't go through. Anyway thanks again.

Elizabeth

Elizabeth

Sep 9, 2009
Hi Dave:

I tried e-mailing you to say thanks for the information, but the message wouldn't go through. Anyway thanks again.

Elizabeth