The Big Piece

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jaques

I read in Mrs. Douglas's biography, that the big piece was part of her stateroom (C86). But when I went to the exhibit to see it, I hink it said that it was part of cabins C85 and 83. Does anyone know the right cabins?

V

Vickie Lewis (Auzziern)

According to a book of mine, The Big Piece was the outer wall of two C-deck first class berths;C79 and C-81. Hope this helps!

V

Vickie Lewis (Auzziern)

I made a mistake. When looking further, it was confirmed after the piece came up that it was part of the port side C-deck suite C-86. This suite was occupied by Mr and Mrs Walter Douglas of Minneapolis, they were returning from a vacation in Europe. They were 1st class. She survived, he did not.

Aug 29, 2000
Here it is just arriving in Boston. It went on to Minnesota and San Diego-Forgot I had it!
17133.jpg

Jan 7, 2002
The piece arrived in Boston, was on display under the tent when vertical on the scaffolding.When Boston ended, the lower D deck part was sawed off as it was determined the piece might buckle under its own weight, plus it was easier two transport as two pieces. In St. paul and Atlantic City The Big Piece was submerged in a soultion. After that, it was sent to Conservation Soultions Inc in VA, where it was cleaned off and prederved. Thats why nowadays it looks as good as new. Usually the Big 'C Deck' part of the Big Piece and the smaller D deck part are exhibited in different cities...

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Aug 4, 2001
Sorry for the delay but I must have missed the latest news. Gee! I thought the piece went back into the ocean as it was being taken out of the water.

Jan 7, 2002
And the Big Piece was once part of the starboard side...cabins C 79 and C 81, plus a D deck partition rfrom the 1st class galley.......

Tarn Stephanos

Jul 9, 2002
Always trust Tarn!! I was in the process of looking up the information myself when I saw his latest post. Everything that I can find says that he is right. C 79 and C 81. As usual, if Tarn says it, it is true. Your'e an increadable Titanic historian Tarn. I relish each opportunity to learn from you on these boards!
Very Respectfully,
Ryan

Don Tweed

May 5, 2002
Does anyone know if that was the big piece in Seattle?
I was there and was in awe to simply behold it!!!
We were told not to touch it and as I passed by to the next room I could not help myself but reach out and gently let my hand "pet" it if you will.
I know it was wrong, but never let the left hand know what the right hand is doing so to speak.
I beg forgivness and throw myself to the mercy of the board!!!
sad.gif

-Don

Jul 9, 2002
Yes Don, that was the Big Piece. And I too couldnt help but reach out and touch it. On the back side just before you went into the room with the passenger listing on the wall. So I forgive you, hopefully everyone will forgive me as well. Cheers!
Ryan

Erik Wood

Aug 24, 2000
I actually saw the big piece in Seattle. That was before I dropped a large chunk of change in the gift shop. I enjoyed the Seattle exhibit. It was my first with all of the artifacts and such. It was well worth the money.

Jul 11, 2001
LOL. I saw the "Big Piece" in Boston when it first arrived and couldn't resist copping a feel! One of my friends just gave me a puzzled look. I had the biggest grin on my face! Come on! Touching the Titanic! After reading about it for all these years, it was a thrill!

Dave

Nov 23, 1996
Tarn:

As for the big piece, I know you still remember the look I my face when I touched it with you and found that lose rivot and pulled on it for a few minutes. As the look on your face was as priceless as the look on mine.

Tarn, you said the look on my face was priceless, as I moved around various other loss rivots and inspected the portholes. You knew what I was thinking didn't you. LOL

However, next to the arrival of the big piece, the best part of the "Boston" exhibit was the Galla private invitation only pre-opening party prior to the grand opening.

I went with Joe C. to the private showing of the artifacts prior to them being fully set up, in their final display cases. They all were available for photographs at all angles, and the people setting them up would move them "with help" for a better photograph.

Tarn, ask Ken O. or Joe C. about the goings on there that evenning, I know you should know this story by now.

Nov 23, 1996
Shelly:

Going back to your April, 2002 post, That photo looks just like the one in my collection, I know my source but did you send it to him or did he send it to you?

I have various others that were sent to me by the same source also.

Aug 29, 2000
That photo was sent and taken by our good friend Joe Carvahlo- sorry, I thought I had given him credit-!I went down to see it myself but it was too early in the day.

Jan 7, 2002
Thanks for the the nice words Ryan!

Hi Steve! The Boston exhibit was amazing..one funny thing is when you and the Olsons touched the porthole before it was cappped with a glass diplay case,
(at the the first section of the exhibit) the Olsons were the ones blamed and thrown out!!

No matter, they wound up working with the exhibit with me anyway...(we still laugh about that misunderstanding!)

Touching the Big Piece, touching Titanic was an amazing thing..somthing Dr Ballard couldnt even do when he first peered at her broken wreck in 1985.

Joes Carvalho is a great guy..The night before i flew to OZ I split a pizza and chatted Titanic with him about Titanic...

.Yes Michael, everyone copped a feel on the Big Piece- it was fully touchable in Boston, but scary, as the whole thing would shake.
It was displayed vertically on scaffolding, and secured by gravity alone.

There were days i was afarid the whole thing would crash down and crush a few people..thats why they cut off the D deck section, and dont allow folks to touch it anymore..they wanted to eliminate the risk it might drop off and kill a few visitors...
peace

tarn Stephanos

T

Tracey McIntire

Okay, I will add my name to the list of "I Copped A Feel Of The Big Piece." I also saw it in Boston. I have to say that having seen it in other locations since then that it was most impressive that first time--when you could actually see some paint remnants, etc. I know conservation is necessary but it seems to have lost a lot of its mystique since it was preserved.

Tracey M.

T

Tom Pappas

When the exhibit was in Phoenix, the Piece room featured, enclosed in a plexiglas case with a hole in it, a small piece of shell plate with an invitation to touch it through the hole.

I guess the organizers were compelled by the Titaniacs' ardor to offer a free feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.