The breakup in the BBC TItanic Mini-Series. Wow!

PedgeJameson

Feb 27, 2014
Who agrees that it was absolutely frightening?

1: More accurate.

2: They didn't make it some CGI cartoon looking fest. (Sorry James Cameron, nothing personal.)

3: The way they had it as a backdrop to the drama, which most people would have experienced in their peripheral vision but still trying to stay alive.

4: The dark skyline and the overall effect.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
It's been a long time since i've watched the mini-series, so I don't actually remember the break-up sequence in that, but if it was anything like the rest of the film then it wouldn't have been much to write home about.

A Night To Remember still stands as the best Titanic film IMO, the only difference is that post-1985 films show the break up for obvious reasons!

Cheers,
Adam.

PedgeJameson

Feb 27, 2014
But accuracy besides the breakup? Absolutely. I am a video editor who has copies of both so I might just make the definitive collaborative film. Just have to add some film artifacting and such. :D

TitanicNerd

Jan 18, 2014
If you talking about Titanic: The Miniseries from 2012, I have some things to say about the break up. We can't even see it, so where they showed it breaking up and how they showed it sinking after the breakup is...unknown. Eh, who knows?

PedgeJameson

Feb 27, 2014
You can't see it? Ok it was supposed to be obscured, unlike Cameron's Muppet Show version. Even the sound of the ocean on the 2012 series sounds real and not a child's bath tub. :p

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Ah, my apologies, I was referring to the 1996 mini-series with Catherine Zeta-Jones, etc etc. That kind of got overshadowed by Cameron's film in 1997 but then the mini-series, IMO, wasn't very good anyway. As for the 2012 one, i've yet to see it in full so cannot comment!

Cheers,
Adam.

Mar 12, 2011
Ah, my apologies, I was referring to the 1996 mini-series with Catherine Zeta-Jones, etc etc. That kind of got overshadowed by Cameron's film in 1997 but then the mini-series, IMO, wasn't very good anyway.
Agreed. I'm still traumatized by "that" scene from the '96 mini-series. You know the one. With Tim Curry's character and the one 3rd class woman...in the shower? Ugh. Totally unnecessary.

PedgeJameson

Feb 27, 2014
Yes Adam the 1996 thing was a horrific piece of tripe, only breakup they showed I believe was two stage hands snapping a piece of plywood for all we know. :p.

And the Time Curry shower thing was just unnecessary garbage I agree.
pennywise-clown-shower.jpg

Wait, wrong shower scene?

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Michael:

Ah yes, I remember that one. Fortunately the cinematography for most of the '96 mini-series was appalling so it was difficult to make out what was actually going on - which might be the one saving grace for that scene you mentioned. I'm sure i've got it on VHS somewhere around here, along with "Britannic" and a number of other terrible films that i've watched once and then tried to consign to the memory bin.

Pedge:

Haha yes well said about the break-up scene. Cameron must have stolen all of the budget for his film. Scoundrel! ;-)

Cheers,
Adam.

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
The series was absolutely horrifying, but I do think it has the best interpretation of what the sinking may have actually looked like by someone sitting on Collapsible B. They actually have B near the stern, which is a first for Titanic movies. This comes the closest to how my mind's eye actually pictures the sinking. Dark as hell.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
I can't help but notice they placed Collapsible B on the starboard side. Couldn't they have at least mirrored the video to make it look like this was port side?

Also, they just had to add the Wilhelm Scream to this, didn't they?

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
I can't help but notice they placed Collapsible B on the starboard side. Couldn't they have at least mirrored the video to make it look like this was port side?

Also, they just had to add the Wilhelm Scream to this, didn't they?

They also used the Howie scream at 3:46. Ridiculous. Ruined an amazing moment with two hackey screams.

And ya, what in the world were they doing having B on the port side?? Like you said, just flip the dang video and make it look like it's on port. What a ridiculous mistake.

Nov 13, 2014
Belgium
A level of IT knowledge beyond my ability. I'm a pencil and paper type of person.
All you have to do is go to proxfree.com and enter the adress you want to go to. The video is watchable worldwide using this link:
ProxFree: Error!
(don't worry, they may say error but it works)

I downloaded the video and flipped it using a video editor. The result was amazing. It would have given the miniseries quite a lot of redemption if they did this.

Ryan Burns

Sep 23, 2016
Wow. I'd like to see that. You should upload that to YouTube or Vimeo or something.

Seriously, messing up the collapsible location is an egregious and unforgivable sin. Knowing that A was starboard and B was port is Titanic 101. My eight year old daughter knows that.