• Thread starter Deleted member 173198
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 173198

Good Day Ladies and Gentleman!

Happy New Year Everybody!.

Good News, tonight I tried to log on the PRO Site (Kew) advertising the British Census for 1901. I am please to inform all researchers here in the U.K and aboard, that this site is now active.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
G'day Andrew -

You were quick off the mark! I just tried now and it's inaccessible due to heavy traffic...ah well, plenty of time to peruse it later...

Big gold star again to the PRO for having the good sense to put it on-line. Here's hoping this happens with more of their archival material as they release it.

~ Ing

D

Deleted member 173198

Don't worry Inger, I'm always quick off the mark!

Keep trying and persuing, your'll get there in the end. By the way Inger, Happy New Year!

Best wishes

Andrew W.

J

Jemma Hyder

Have been at the Census since 9am (Yes my job is v boring, no they don't notice if I don't do much lol) and I've got in a good few times. I even got as far as them taking payment details but I got booted out at that point. Its easy to use and very helpful, even if you didn't know what on earth you were doing. It is however really annoying to get so far and then get booted out again lol. It's actually found two entries I tried first time without any confusion, it will just be great when it all calms down. Apparently the people who made the site are working really hard to get more people in at a time, but at one point they had 1.2 million hits at a time!

Tracy Smith

Nov 5, 2000
South Carolina USA
I wonder if they would accept a debit card from an American bank as payment? I've been through the site tour and read about payment, but I didn't see anything about how non-UK people would pay.

J

Jemma Hyder

I got all the way to the debit payment four times last night lol and it rejected every card I threw at it
sad.gif
Very frustrating

J

Jemma Hyder

It makes you wonder who it was that overlooked the fact that so many people would be trying to get onto the thing. If they are making all these amendments now to fix it why didn't they just do them to start with and save everybody a lot of hassle?

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Jemma!

Don't pay any attention to Geoff's complaints -- he's just mad because the British government banned him from using that website.

All my best,

George

Dec 13, 1999
Hi Jemma, Yes, I was on it but I just wanted to refresh my mind over what I had put down! Please ignore Mr. Behe, I'm afraid that his brain cells appear to be disappearing faster than those of the average 70 year old.

Geoff

J

Jemma Hyder

Geoff,

You'll wish you could remember lol! Think it will be quite some time before we see anything constructive out of that site. Thought I'd get around it by going up to Myddleton Rd today but they had turned all the computers off because the staff were fed up with being moaned at and for some reason the old fashioned version is at Kew lol. The only sense I got out of the whole place today was by digging up a good old fashioned microfilm for 1871 and rolling through it by hand! So much for technology I'd opt for a blackboard and a bit of chalk anyday lol.

D

Deleted member 173198

Good evening Everybody!

I am so sorry to see that most member's are expericing nothing more than aggro and hassle all round from the PRO site. Tomorrow morning I shall try and phone and see if I can get any sense from this nightmare.
What I can gather, and this came directly from my Father late last night who was watching the B.B.C Midday News, the whole system at Kew has kind of gone haywire.

I think maybe, they weren't expecting such an overwhelming response worldwide. Of course that's only speculation, although at a guest, inwardly I think there are some serious problems at their end. Nevertheless I won't know until tomorrow morning. So once again can I please reiterate that I shall defintely try my upmost and give a brief report outling the unexpected problems, and developments.

Best wishes

Andrew W.

J

Jemma Hyder

Andrew,

I think we all expected some delays at first but the response does seem to have outweighed everyody's expectations. The staff at Myddleton Rd certainly seem at a loss about what to say. Their take on it seemed to be that while it was as unreliable as it is at the moment it was beter if people visiting the frc just didnt have access to it, and you can see their point of view as the problems it was causing must have taken up 99% of their staff. Just a warning though if anyone gets a message saying that their card details coudlnt be authorised re enter if you think you mis typed be careful because it would seem that it has been taking money off of a card I tried by accident and we never got the images.

Mark Baber

Jul 4, 2000
What I'm reading here describes something very similar to what happened when the Ellis Island records first went online last year. For weeks it was almost impossible even to get connected and, on the rare occasions when you did, you'd often get only a few screens into the process before you hit a virtual brick wall.

It took a while, but eventually demand subsided or capacity was increased (or both) to the point where it's no longer a problem.

MAB

Inger Sheil

Feb 9, 1999
I suspect you're correct there, Mark. While the PRO knew there would be heavy demand, as Andrew suggests above I wonder if they could have anticipated the level of international interest. The geneological magazines (of which there are at least three in the UK alone) have been running articles about it since it was first announced that the census would be released on-line, and anticipation has been running high in the increasingly popular hobby of geneology. Add to that all the researchers in other fields, it means a lot of people are *very* anxious to get into it and delve around. As I discussed yesterday with Andrew, a similar situation arose when the Commonwealth War Graves Commission first put their records online - it took a long time before traffic slowed to the point that you could access the material easily.

Personally, I'm not after the 'big' names in my research - I have a pretty good idea of where they were at the time the census was taken (be interesting to see if the ships of those that were at sea at the time show up, especially as there is a search facility for vessels). I'm anticipating looking at some of the more peripheral subjects of interest (by and large those I've been too lazy to go out to the FRC and check GRO certificates for, or check earlier census returns) and sorting out some extended family connections.

Ian Bland

Sep 20, 2001
Mark

I would appreciate the URL for the Ellis Island site. I keep meaning to try to track a great uncle and it might help.

Cheers.

Dec 13, 1999
Inger, It really came to a head yesterday when they announced the site on "Blue Peter"! Imagine all those snot nosed little B's running hither and thither for weeks on end just "playing"! Aaaaaagh!

Geoff

Status
Not open for further replies.