The Builder's Plaque Forward on Bdeck

Jan 5, 2001
Does anybody know what the builder's plaque forward on B-deck said? I have not come across any photographs of it and wonder what it was. However, I know it was an oval shape.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best regards,

Mark.

Mar 3, 1998
Mark,

Give me a month or two and I'll show you a reproduction in brass. Before that time, however, I have to keep the details close to the chest.

Parks

Mar 3, 1998
Dan,

That plaque is from a later period, and is not of the style that would have been on Titanic. I had already drawn up that pattern for the brassmaker when I was provided with a photograph of a c.1911 plaque that matches the ovoidal dimensions of the plaque base, as measured off the wreck. I drew up a new pattern based on the new information, and gave it, along with patterns for 3 other brass plaques found on Titanic, to an expert for review. After the review is complete and the drawings finalised, all 4 patterns will be sent off for casting in brass. I'm fairly confident that those of us who are interested in reproductions so exact that they are virtually indistinguishable from the original will be happy with the finished product. If you look at the LEGO Britannic pictures on my website, you will catch a glimpse of one of the brass lifeboat burgee plaques I did last year.

Parks

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Parks wrote:

>I'm fairly confident that those of us who are >interested in reproductions so exact that they >are virtually indistinguishable from the >original will be happy with the finished
>product.

Hi, Parks!

I hope your brass reproductions all have the word "reproduction" deeply engraved on the reverse side. (Otherwise it's almost inevitable that innocent people will get taken to the cleaners in the future when some of these brass items turn up in antique stores and auction houses labelled as the real McCoy.)

All my best,

George

Mar 3, 1998
George,

The details of how these items will be marked hasn't been settled, but the example that inspired me to make the burgee plaque is foremost in my mind. I'm talking about the shoddy burgee plaques made by Maidhof Bros., the first of which sold on eBay for well over $500 (after the stink that was subsequently raised, Maidhof Bros. didn't sell any more but instead uses the remainder of their production run as ornamentation on the nautical furniture they sell).

I am as interested in marking these clearly as reproduction as you. In addition, our plans may include working with a certain distributor who also will insist on clear and accurate marking.

Parks

Dan Cherry

Mar 3, 2000
Parks,
thanks for the information regarding the plaque, and I look forward to seeing a picture of your reproduction.

Regards,
Dan

George Behe

Dec 11, 1999
Hi, Parks!

I was pretty sure you'd already given careful consideration to this matter, but I felt duty bound to at least ask you about it 'for the record.'

I'm glad you're one jump ahead of me, old chap. :)

All my best,

George