The bulkhead between boiler rooms #5 and #4

Jim Currie

Apr 16, 2008
NewtonMearns, Glasgow, Scotland.
There was a great deal of heat in the area before the disaster. Rapidly cooling metal makes very strange sounds. think about after you have used your oven in the kitchen.
I too find the 'greenish' colour strange. Sea water is normally colourless. You are probably right, if there had been light shining through the top surface of the rushing water, it might have given the impression of being green.

A

Aaron_2016

In a radio interview given by Lightoller he said he looked down the staircase and how "I'm never likely to forget the sight of that cold greenish water creeping step by step up that stairway. Some of the lights were shining down on the water, and others already submerged were giving it a sort of ghostly transparency."

This might be interesting. Fred Barrett spoke to members of the Inquiry when they toured the Olympic to understand what happened on the Titanic. Barrett is reported as saying:

"I was in section 6, the forward section.....Mr. Heskett, the second engineer, and I were talking when we felt a shock. The red light flared up in the stoke hole. This was a signal to shut the dampers. Then there came another crash and the water came up section 6 about 2 feet above the floor plates."

"We were trying to keep the water from No. 5 when all of a sudden the water came rushing through the section like a green foam. I jumped for the ladder and I think the others followed me. There was a knocking noise, but no explosion when the water made its rush at us."

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
"I was in section 6, the forward section.....Mr. Heskett, the second engineer, and I were talking when we felt a shock. The red light flared up in the stoke hole. This was a signal to shut the dampers. Then there came another crash and the water came up section 6 about 2 feet above the floor plates."

"We were trying to keep the water from No. 5 when all of a sudden the water came rushing through the section like a green foam. I jumped for the ladder and I think the others followed me. There was a knocking noise, but no explosion when the water made its rush at us."

The quote of rushing the section of the boiler room, (in my opinion) backs up the coal bunker door failing since it was at floor level, the water pressure would force it into Boiler Room 5 like a hose where as it coming from above would have been more of a fountain trickle (granted it still would have been serious but not as much.)
fluids_pressure_depth_relationship.gif

in terms of the knocking sound, was the door made of a thin enough metal, that the water bent the door outwards creating the noise as it bulged?

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
The coal bunker doors were not build to withhold water pressure. The knocking noise could well have been the failure of the door (Barrett closed them) but could have been also something else.
The "green" water was mentioned also by other survivors.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
That's what I mean as the door reached it tolerance, it first bulged outwards and then flew off/ /swung open releasing galleons of water aimed directly at the boilers creating what Barrett saw as a ''wave of green foam tearing between the boilers''

I read somewhere that wile fresh water is transparent, salt water appears green and cloudy.

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Here are stokers aboard the 1941 steamer Lincoln Castle. Is that the door to a period style coal bunker? The door appears to be lifted and secured open by a rope, and untying it would cause the weight of the door to slide down.

While we can't be certain, they look slimier to the Titanic's but are smaller from what they appear in CGI Models (like from Honour and Glory and Titanic Mafia Mod).

A

Aaron_2016

Here are stokers aboard the 1941 steamer Lincoln Castle. Is that the door to a period style coal bunker? The door appears to be lifted and secured open by a rope, and untying it would cause the weight of the door to slide down.

bunker1.PNG

bunker2.PNG

bunker3.PNG

Credit to davesrailpics.bravehost.com who archived these incredible photos from the Lincoln Castle.

Last edited by a moderator: