The cafe in Southampton

Hitch

Jan 6, 2006
Douse anyone know what the name of the cafe is that Jack is playing poker, when he is in Southampton?

Thanks.
-Carl

John Clifford

Mar 30, 1997
Actually, I think it was the Grapes Pub, on Oxford Road. This is the same location that the Slade brothers were enjoying a round of beers, and missed the sailing, because they spent too much time there, and were delayed in getting down to the ship.

T

Tania Jones

I bet the Slade brothers were more than a bit relieved they missed the boat after hearing about the sinking though.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Jack wrote: they dont even do alcohol at the Grapes!"

I'd be extremely surprised if the "Old Speckled Hen" I was drinking there turned out to be alcohol-free!

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Lol! I'm with you, Ben - many is the happy pint I've had at the Grapes, and I'm sure that everyone that has consumed a bevvy there since the Slade brothers would be astonished to find it's teetotal. As for 'paintstripper' - it serves the usual range of everything from lagers to alchopops that you find at most British Pubs. Senan Molony didn't complain about the Guinness on one of our visits there, and I defer to Ben's expertise on the ales for that area...

The particular view of the ship as seen from the window in the movie seemed a bit of an impossibility for any pub, if I recall correctly.

Hitch

Jan 6, 2006
You can see the name on the window. But the letters are faced the other way. (Outside)

Can anyone read it?? And is it a real cafe??

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Please be aware that Carl is using his second or third language. He's entitled to call it a cafe if he likes.

I remember the scene and I think it's just an imaginary pub. Hence the view of the ship.

C

Christine Geyer

*lol* I have proof they ARE serving alcohol at the Grapes. For at my fist visit at the Grapes I took it as a "duty" to have a Guiness there, even though I'm not a total non-beer-drinker. Eric took a foto of evidence that day. Such a pity I'm at the office at the moment but I'll look for it when I'm home. Haha... I'll have to add that my facial expression on that one doesn't speak for the quality of the served drink. As I said before I never drink beer. And Molonys was quite a happier when he was so kind as to take care of the rest of the pint
proud.gif

C

Christine Geyer

Carl - yes it's inside. I think I have also a picture of the bar, but I cannot find it at the moment. Will look for it and come back to you.

Michael *lol* All i can tell you that it was dark brown, crowned by a little velvety foam and BITTER as can be. Brrrrr... But if we should get to the Grapes this year in April again I'll buy you a glass and send it over
proud.gif

Hitch

Jan 6, 2006
Thanks Christine.
But was that the original bar/pub. That was there in 1912?

And what is his name??

Thanks
-Carl

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Michael, an authentic British pint should never be consumed from a frosty glass - must be served lukewarm for the full British (or Irish) experience! Optional extras include a packet of crisps and a cheese sarnie dried and curling upwards at the corners.