The Car

countess

Apr 25, 2016
What happened to the car when titanic finally sank?

Had the Car been found inside the wreck? And if so, where are the images? (I'm wishing to see how the car looks today after 100 years under salt water).

Did the owner get insurance money after the sinking?

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
Unfortunately, the car (an Renault type CB Town-car built between 1912-1933) was made of thin metal and wood and as a result of the microbes on the ocean floor have practically eaten the whole car with the possible exception of a wheel.

The Owner was First Class Passenger William Carter (1875-1940) who survived the sinking, but was later blamed for surviving and his wife later divorced him after he abandoned them onboard and left them to fend for themselves.

The Car was (possibly) ensured for $5000.

Car: Renault Towncar - Wikipedia

William Carter: William Ernest Carter : Titanic Survivor | Mr William Ernest Carter

May 3, 2005
I have also read some reports that the car was taken apart and the parts crated.
The car would have been reassembled from the parts on reaching New York.
Not like the "Jack and Rose" version.

Last edited:

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
There's some images and video from the Ghosts of the Abyss expedition that were reputed to be the remains of the car, but it's hard to tell for sure. Certainly there wouldn't be much of it left.

Cheers,
Adam.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
There is no reason to suppose that "microbes on the ocean floor would have practically eaten the whole car." The ash wood frame and aluminium paneling of the coachbuilt body would have decayed, but the rolling chassis with engine, transmission and wheels was fashioned from substantial iron and steel components and would still be largely intact, like the numerous other heavy steel items which can be seen on the deck and in the debris field.

Here's a photo of part of the cargo hold in a torpedoed ship sunk in the Mediterranean nearly 80 years ago. This is not of course a direct comparison but it does show that even thin steel panels and rubber tyres can survive immersion in salt water for a very long time.

thistlegorm.jpg

A

Aaron_2016

I recall a documentary were they tried to enter Titanic's cargo hold but did they succeed? I remember they showed the mailroom and many sacks of mail which appeared to be in great shape and may have preserved hundreds of letters inside each sack. They also showed wooden crates which might have been cargo or possibly contained food for the kitchens. I remember when they approached the main cargo hold (not sure which one) they found a locked gate and they could not go beyond it. Perhaps the car was behind the locked gate?

wreckcargo.PNG

plan1.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
The stills were from ''Titanic: Secrets Revealed'' and it was this show that tested the theory of what if all the bulkhead doors were opened.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Bob,

But surely if the majority of the framework of the car had eroded, the rest would have collapsed into a near unrecognisable, tangled mess? Time does take a toll, as we can see from the gradual decay of the wreck over the past 30 years. It's also quite possible that the car would have been severely damaged during the descent of the ship to the bottom of the ocean. Cars manufactured in the early 20th century weren't designed for that.

Cheers,
Adam.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Adam, a quality car in the Edwardian era was bought as a rolling chassis - basically a ladder frame of heavy steel girders with the engine, transmission and running gear attached. The body was generally a separate purchase, and as I stated above this was a structure of thin aluminium and/or steel panels on a flimsy (non load-bearing) wooden frame, much or all of which would have decayed. But the car as supplied by Renault would still be there beneath the debris of the added coachwork.

Adam Went

Apr 28, 2003
Hi Bob,

I've got no doubt that there would still be some part of the remains of the car left behind in the cargo hold, I just think it might be wishful thinking to suggest that it would be recognisable or undamaged by the descent of the ship to the bottom, let alone the passage of more than a century.

Cheers,
Adam.

Rusty_S

Banned
Mar 28, 2012
Thing to remember is fenders of old cars were typically made out of leather and leather is something that survives quite well on the wreck site.

Needless to say I am not quite huge on foreign antique cars so I couldn't say if the Renaut has leather fenders or not but typically cars of that period did have them

I did how ever see a photo of what was first thought to be the car but then discredited but if you look close at the photo you can see the outline of a fender covered in silt. I how ever didn't save the photo and cant find it now. Seems like most Titanic wreck photos they tend to disappear after a few years of first being posted online.

Here it is Post 11 and 13.

Sending an ROV deep into the ship

Last edited:

Darryl

Mar 20, 2018
South Australia
I am new to this site and am seeking some information. I own a 1912 CB Renault and have scanned the previous posts that relate to the Carter Renault but have two questions which someone out there may be able to help me with.
Is there a genuine copy of the Titanic cargo manifest ie not one created for the internet?
Is there a record of the claim made by William Carter and was it against the Oceanic line?
Any guidance to the real information would be much appreciated!

Mar 18, 2008
Germany
Is there a genuine copy of the Titanic cargo manifest ie not one created for the internet?
Is there a record of the claim made by William Carter and was it against the Oceanic line?
The claim William Carter did was not against the Oceanic Line but against the Oceanic Steam Navigation Company. The claim can be found here; TIP - Limitation of Liability - Claim of William Carter

There are copies of her cargo manifest out there if my memory is right it is also printed in a few books (Triumph & Tragedy by Eaton & Haas I think). There is nothing special. A online version is here to see: Cargo Manifest

Darryl

Mar 20, 2018
South Australia
Many thanks - I had not seen the Carter Claim....and I will try and source the book to verify the record.
I am keen to find out how previous writers on this forum have determined that William Carter's car was a CB Renault. The manifest states '1 case auto' and his claim refers to a 35HP Renault. Is there other information available? I have not found it on this site and am getting the impression that the previous writers might be reading about the replica car which was auctioned some years back purporting to be a replica. It was said to be CB Renault which it is clearly not, so I am curious as to their sources. Any direction would be most welcome. Thanks

Harland Duzen

Jan 14, 2017
How did they actually manage to get the car into the cargo hold?
Using either the deck cranes or a derrick attached to the forward mast (see below), the car would be raised and lowered into the hold.

imageproxy.php.jpeg

Hope this helps. :)

Reactions: 1 users