The Charles Lauriat book reprints special editions etc

Feb 14, 2011
I have said it before- ill say it again- Charles lauriat's 1915 first person account "The lusitania'a Last Voyage" is one of the most underrated book in all of linerdom....

He was there- his was one of the most important 1st person accounts of the sinking ever written...
The Lauriat book was the Luistania equivalant of Archabald gracie's book- as both were the accounts of 1st class passengers who swam away from thier respective sinking ships....

Why that book has never been reprinted in book form amazes me.....

The book was reprinted in the pages of TI's journal "Voyage" some years ago....

My Lauriat book has the images of her funnels on the cover- but i have also seen a 1915 special edition of the book, apprently limited to 250 or so copies. Im not sure if Lauriat signed those copies...

Lauriat lived here in Boston, and his family owned the local Lauriat bookstore, which later became a successful (though now defunct) bookstore chain....

I assume Lauriat plugged his book at his own store, which is why here in Boston I have seen a number of Lauriat books signed by the author.
I used to own 3 signed copies, but am now down to 1, as i traded the others away...

The lauriat book is a tad odd in that is rather redundant- the first half seems the rough draft, the 2nd half is the same story, albiet polished up....

What do you all think of Lauriat's accounbt? Any errors in his story? Does shis book warrent a reprint?
Other than being reprinted in and issue of "Voyage", has Charles lauriat's Lusitania book ever been reprinted?

regards

Tarn Stephanos

Greg Burns

Dec 4, 2003
The only error that comes immediately to mind is Lauriat's claim that the screws never cleared the waterline. There enough other eyewitness accounts to dispute that; perhaps it was simply his perspective that prevented him from seeing it.

I agree that Lauriat's book is a critical "must-read" for anyone delving into the Lusitania story. It was one of the earlier ones I read and I'm still impressed.

Greg

Feb 14, 2011
Hi Greg!
I don't think Lauriat was in a position to see the screws- i believe he became entangled in the wireless lines that connected the fore and aft masts.. and when he broke free and came to the surface, the ship was gone...
Thus there was no way he could have seen the screws, as he was on the opposite side of the ship...
regards

Tarn Stephanos