The Christys second class passengers

D

Deborah Frethem

Does anyone have any information about second class passengers Alice Frances Christy or Juli Christy?

Deborah Frethem
St.. Paul Minnesota

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Does anyone know something about Christy family (exclude their biographies in ET)?
I also have a question about Miss Christy's name. In her summary she was known Rachel but in her biography - Julie. In other websites she was written as Juli R. Christy.
And is it truth that Amy Jacobsohn was another Mrs Christy's daughter?

All the best,

Delia
happy.gif

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Delia,

Miss Christy was born in London as
Rachael Juli. Yes it is true that Mrs
Jacobsohn was Mrs Christy's younger daughter
Amy Frances.

Brian M

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Thanks a lot for info, Brian. Do you know anything about their life after Titanic? I read somewhere that they returned to England. Did they whenever tell about their experience?

I think Miss Christy was born as Miss Cohen. Her father was Moreno Joshua Cohen who died when she was little girl. She was probably adopted by Frederick Christy, her mother's second husband, wasn't she?

All the best,

Delia
happy.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Delia,

Mrs Christy and her daughters did return to England after the sinking, but not before giving an account of their experiences to a Canadian newspaper.
The family had connections, through Mrs Christy's sister, with France, and it was in France that Amy Jacobsohn met her second husband. She later lived in Kenya. And although she returned to England in later life, it was in Kenya that she died, believing that the climate would improve her failing health.
Regards
Craig

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Hello Craig,
Thank you for all info. My last question: Did Alice Christy and her daughter Juli die in England?

All the best,

Delia
happy.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Delia,

Yes, both ladies died in England. Frances Alice Christy who died on July 11th 1939 retired to Bournemouth, living at 55, Bath Hill Court. Prior to that she had lived at the Grantleigh Hotel and the Mostyn Hotel in London. When she died she left an estate of £33,000 to be divided among her family. Bequests were made to her sister, Mrs Amy Limousin, in Paris, to whom she had sent a message of survival in 1912, and to her brother Frederick. Faithful servants were also remembered. Amy Fenwick, as Frances’ surviving child, received an annuity from the estate, and release from a loan made to her by Frances in 1927.
Mrs Christy’s younger daughter, Rachel Juli Christy ( Cohen ), died on October 10th 1931 at the St. John and St. Elizabeth Hospital in Marylebone, London. Before her death Rachel had been living with her mother at the Mostyn Hotel. She left an estate of £4,625, but died intestate. Her estate was awarded in court to her mother.

Best wishes
Craig

Delia Mahoney

Oct 10, 2003
Many useful info, Craig! I looked for Rachel Cohen (Christy) in Census 1901 and I found two 14 years old girls, both born in London. Fist was born in Mile End, lived in Mile End Old Town and worked as a Commercial Clerk, second was born in St George's and lived in Bethnal Green. Can anyone know who of these couple Miss Christy of the Titanic?

All the best,

Delia
happy.gif

Jan 5, 2001
Hello Delia,
Neither of the girls you found are the correct ones. In 1901, Mrs Christy, then Mrs Cohen, was working in Haslemere, Surrey, as a hospital nurse. Her daughters, Amy, aged 12, and Juli, mis-entered as Jule, then 14, are in Essex.
Going back ten years. In 1891, Alice was living at 206, Albany Road, Camberwell. With her were her three children, and her brother, Walter. Mrs Cohen was a grocer at the time.
Regards
Craig

J

Jean Bruce

Re: Rachel Julie Cohen Christy
Is there a family tree for this lady?
I believe she and her mother were related to our grandmother, Frances Augusta Christy.
Any information would be interesting to see.
Thank you
Jean