The compass platform

D

David Brewer

what's up my name's david and i just wanted to say hi to all the peeps on the board.
My question is and i'm sorry if this has been asked before i didn't find a thread for it but have they found any remains of the compass platform that was between the second and third funnel

D

David Brewer

yeah i kinda had a feeling that was the answer but though might as well ask. Appreciate your reply though

Jun 12, 2004
quote:

the compass platform was located in the section that disintegrated
Actually, Michael, it wasn't. The raised roof on which the compass platform was located is still intact on the bow, albeit slanted downward. As you know, the disintegrated portion was a little aft of that, starting at the funnel three casing and extending backward.

Still, the compass and its stand are, indeed, gone and haven't been found. My guess, since it doesn't appear to be located near the bow, is that it was washed off during the sinking, which wouldn't be too surprising. The compass itself might be buried under debris near the stern or even the stern itself, although I can't see that little thing hitting the bottom first, even if it did get washed off the deck before the stern fell. It's possible, though.​

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>The raised roof on which the compass platform was located is still intact on the bow, albeit slanted downward<<

Ach! You're right. It was.

>>My guess, since it doesn't appear to be located near the bow, is that it was washed off during the sinking, which wouldn't be too surprising. <<

Indeed not. This wasn't exactly a strength part of the structure, but a latticework stand which was just mounted there. The structural failure would have seriously undermined it. The long fall through the water column would have finished it off.