The Conspiracy instead of Jack & Rose in Cameron's movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven Hall

Aug 8, 2001
What I still find interesting is when you talk to the average individual about Titanic, 1 out of every 10 say they believe it could be the Olympic. When I was selling UFTM photographs back before the movie actually came out, the most popular photograph purchased was the one showing the Olympic & Titanic together.
People on all the boards fly off into a rage when the theory is ever forwarded, yet the 1 in 10 people whom (I come into contact with) still consider it as a possibility continues to still bring me up short. It’s like a feeding frenzy when some poor novice dares enter the internet arena and presents his opinion.
I wonder if Cameron ever considered the conspiracy for the core of his movie instead of our darlings Jack & Rose.
In the end, which would have been better.

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
I've found the same thing. The swap story is surprisingly widely known among the legions of the ignorami. I can only put it down to the wide publicity given to Gardiner & Van der Vat's first book and its presence in libraries. I fear that very few read it all the way to the end, where they admit the swap never happened.

I should think Cameron didn't even give it a thought. He was trying to film a drama, not a farce.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
The problem really is that those who did finish the first book may then very well go on to read the second (this one a solo effort by Gardiner) as well. Here, the swap theory is taken to a whole bigger dimension than the first, in a manner which can be pretty damned convincing for those who don't know any better. Sigh.

I think Cameron knows more than enough about the subject to even contemplate for a moment that the silent hulk resting on the seabed is actually the Olympic.

Sarah Houtby

Aug 15, 2002
Although it's obviously a crock of fertilizer, you've got to admit the switching Olympic w/ Titanic for insurance purposes certainly adds a whole new twist to the story....Well at least if you've got the brains of a turnip.

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
It also adds a whole new dimension to shooting yourself in the foot - considering the ships were grossly under-insured and White Star carried three quarters ( I think) of the risk itself! The average turnip probably wouldn't go around deliberately killing its paying customers, either...

Status
Not open for further replies.