The Countess of Rothes

D

Daniel Odysseus

Does anyone know her first name, by any chance?

I checked the passenger list, and it read: "Rothes, Countess of" and in the ending(?) of a Night to Remember, it stated that her name later was Mrs. Noel MacSomething, but I assume that that was her husband's name (the female spelling, in my experience anyway, would be Noelle)...

It's a mystery that's been plaguing me for a while... Does anyone know her name?

-D.O.

May 12, 2005
An entry in Burke's Peerage has her first name as "Lucy-Noel" but I think the latter was actually spelled "Noelle." And she preferred using only "Noelle," I believe. It says she remarried to Col. Claud McFie.

Geoff where are you? You would know best about this lady.

Nov 22, 2000
Hi Randy, I must defer in favour of Craig Stringer who is (albeit very modest)an authority on the Rothes family. If he's not perusing this site at present I will email him.

Geoff

Jan 5, 2001
Hello,
Thank you to Geoff for prompting me. The Countess of Rothes was born Lucy Noel Martha Dyer-Edwardes, although as Randy suggests she preferred Noelle. When she married in 1900 she gave her name as Noel Lucy Martha. Her husband was one Norman Evelyn Leslie, Earl of Rothes. Norman was the son of Martin E. Haworth, and Mary Elizabeth Leslie. When his mother became Countess of Rothes, the family changed its name to Leslie, and following Mary Elizabeth's death, Martin became Earl of Rothes in 1893.
And to add further to Noelle's name. Her father was Thomas Dyer Edwardes, who later in life combined his last two names with a hyphen to become Dyer-Edwardes! Noelle's mother had quite grand connections, being descended, if I remember right, from the Sixth Duke of Melfort.
Hope this helps
Craig

May 12, 2005
Pardon me Craig. I had a momentary lapse there. Of course you're the authority. Good to hear from you as always. Hope you're well.

Jan 5, 2001
Hi Randy,
I'm quite well. Geoff is rejoicing that I have lost my voice at the moment, thanks to a winter cold. I wouldn't describe myself as an authority on the Countess, although it is kind of you to say so. I just know a little bit. Good to hear from you.
Craig

Aug 3, 2003
While searching for some additional information about the Countess' family, I came upon this page, http://www.baronytitles.com/forsale/29.html, which seems to suggest the Earldom of Rothes is for sale. I had assumed this sort of thing isn't done much anymore, but if so, it's the perfect gift for that special Titanic-loving friend - assuming you have £150,000 or thereabouts.
happy.gif

Jul 19, 2003
Dear Robert,

Be assured that the Earldom of Rothes is NOT for sale. The website has mixed up the fact that some of the old Scottish feudal baronies can, under certain circumstances, be sold. Other than that, the website's claim to sell the Earldom of Rothes is false information.

Aug 3, 2003
Jeffrey, many thanks for clearing that up! I had wondered whether some hanky-panky was going on, but I am hardly an expert in such things so I was hoping someone more knowledgeable would respond.

One wonders if the current holder of the title is aware of this.

Jul 19, 2003
Hi Robert!

No problem whatsoever. As far as the holder of the title goes, Ian Lionel Malcolm Leslie is the 21st Earl of Rothes, Lord Leslie, and Baron of Ballinbreich; he is the Chief of my Scottish clan, Leslie. I wrote him concerning the website; he was the one to inform me that the Earldom is not for sale. He also informed me that he is doing what he can to clear up the mess.

Jul 19, 2003
By the way, Ian is the grandson of Noël Lucy Martha Dyer-Edwardes, Countess of Rothes, and son of her eldest son, the late Malcolm George Dyer-Edwardes Leslie (d. 1975) and his wife, Beryl Violet Dugdale. Lord Ian's wife, Marigold Evans Bevan of Wales, is the current Countess of Rothes.

Aug 3, 2003
Thanks again Jeffrey! It sounds like Lord Ian may also owe you a thank-you. I try to follow British politics (so you can imagine my level of interest at the moment!) but other than reading the Wakeham commission report back in 1999 or 2000, I've never paid much attention to titles and such.

For anyone else interested in the subject, a bit more searching on Google on my part produced a short and witty piece on these fraudulent title sales by the Earl of Bradford on the Burkes Peerage site, http://www.burkes-peerage.net/sites/common/sitepages/ft01.asp, with a link to his own site on the topic, http://www.faketitles.com/.

M

Mary S. Lynn

I suppose this means that, although I have a grandfather, uncle, brother, cousin, and daughter named "Leslie", documented geneology back to about 1480, and tax-free millions to spend, my quest for a title is futile. TRH Mary sounds so much better than "Hey, lady". Sigh.