The Crompton Family All Lost

M

Matt Endacott

Does anyone have any info on the Crompton family?
I'm in the process of writing out a passenger list and came across the Crompton's in 1st Class.
They consisted of mr & Mrs Paul Crompton and their children, Stephen, John, Peter, Alberta, Romally, Catherine and their nanny Dorothy Dallen.
The whole lot of them are reported lost, including the nanny. Yet i have never seen any mention to them. Wouldn't a wealthy 1st Class family of 8, that all perished in the disaster be highly noted?
Any help?

Jim Kalafus

Dec 3, 2000
The nanny was Dorothy Allen.

There is a photo of the family, minus Mr. Crompton, in Simpson's book, amongst others. Mr. Crompton can be found in a few 1915 papers.

Stephen, John and the infant boy were recovered and buried in a private grave in Queenstown.

Apparently they were the noisy children who drove Theodate Pope out of her original cabin. According to a surviving crewman the children were ill behaved and reduced Dorothy to tears at one point.

The only mention of them during the sinking we have found is an account by a fellow Pennsylvanian who helped one of the daughters into a lifebelt.

May 12, 2005
In 1918 in a popular women's interest magazine called the Delineator, Lusitania was memorialized in a photo feature and poem. I used to have this article but think I gave it to one of the Lusy experts here (can't recall who it was now!). Anyhow as I recall, it had a photo of Lusy at top and then the familiar photo of the Crompton family, surely one of the saddest losses or at least typical of the many sad losses in that disaster. I found that article when I was about 11 and used it as part of my presentation for a book report I had to give in the 6th grade. The book was "The Last Voyage of the Lusitania." It was a paperback. I still have that copy (it's much dog-eared and Kool-Aid stained!). I remember that the Crompton family story made the most impression on my fellow students - and my teacher.

May 19, 2002
Thats a coincedence Randy, I used the Lusitania disaster as part of my English exams many moons ago. I always thought that a least 1 member of the family would have survived, but as in most cases of other families aboard,if they all stayed together they all went down with the ship.

Have managed to track Paul Crompton Sr down to being born in Chertsey in Surrey and a birth date of around 1871, but will confirm when i go to the family records office next week.

Have a question!!! In the principle Titanic families of Harland and Wolf, both families married into the Schwabe family, is there any relation to Mrs Crompton as i thought her maiden name was Schwabe or Salis-Schwabe

Cliff

May 12, 2005
Hi Cliff,

Interesting about Paul Crompton. Sr. The Crompton story is one that really defines the horror of the Lusitania sinking.

Hopefully Eric or Jim or somebody can answer your question about the Schwabe connection.

Best to you,
Randy

Nov 22, 2000
I'm not sure about any connection with H & W. Gladys Crompton's mother, Jaqueline, had "lost" the Schwabe part of the name and was calling herself Salis. She may well have done this at the onset of the First World War as many of England's families with Germanic sounding names, changed them or adopted new ones. Our own Royal family setting the trend.

Paul Crompton's London address, which was probably his mother's home where he grew up, was next door to the actor Laurence Sydney Brodribb Irving and his actress wife, Mabel Lucy Hackney, who lost their lives in the Empress of Ireland disaster less than twelve months before the Cromptons were drowned on the Lusitania.

May 12, 2005
Thanks for that Geoff! To think you'd know something about Lusitania!
happy.gif

Very sad and strange detail about the Crompton neighbors dying in the Empress disaster.

Brian Ahern

Dec 19, 2002
Does anyone know anything about the Cromptons' family backgrounds, particulary Mrs. Crompton's? I know that the Salis-Schwabes were German Jews who made a fortune in Manchester in the 19th century and converted to Unitarianism. I also know they were well known as patrons of education and the arts (entertained the likes of Chopin and Whistler) and at least one of them distinguished himself in the British military. But I can't find out exactly who Gladys Crompton's parents were, other than that her mother's name was Jaqueline, as Geoff Whitfield's post above indicates.

Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

May 12, 2005
Brian:

As I understand it, Cliff Barry has made a productive study of the Cromptons. I haven’t heard from him in a while but I think he’s still a member here. If he doesn’t catch this posting, you might want to contact him.

Randy

Nov 22, 2000
Brian,

Gladys Mary Crompton was a daughter of Major George Salis Schwabe (born 1844) and Mary Jaqueline James (1851 - 25th February 1922).

Geoff

May 19, 2002
Hi Brian,

am at work at the moment but will check my file on the Crompton's when i get home, I managed to track down an aging 2nd cousin who gave me access to a lot of Crompton/Sals Schwabe correspondance.

Salis Schwabe prior to his daughter Gladys getting married was in the charge of the Royal Hospital Chelsea, home to the famous chelsea pensioners

Cliff

Nov 22, 2000
Ah Cliff...so that's why Gladys Crompton appears on the 1901 Census under the Royal Chelsea Hospital! And there I was, thinking she was a patient!

Geoff

May 19, 2002
Hi Geoff, David

you were right in a way Gladys was at one time as well as living there a patient also, she had a minor operation in Jan 1901.

As for George Salis Schwabe, he was born in 1844 nr Liverpool, and married Mary Jaqueline James (Born Marleybone London 1851) in 1870.

They went to have the following children:

Edgar William Salis Schwabe born in Ireland 1875

Gladys Mary Salis Schwabe born 11th March 1878 in Prestwich

Rhoda Jaqueline Salis Schwabe born in Ireland 1885,

As for Paul Crompton he was born Middlesex and lived in Chertsey with his parents and brother David, Pauls father was a circuit Judge for the Welsh assizes, Paul's love of Languages started when both he and his brother were taught french by the french governess, Paul died intestate with the entire estate going to his mother

Cliff

May 19, 2002
Hi Geoff,

have had real difficulty on finding info on the last three you mentioned as why i didnt mention them,
At the time of Glady's birth her father was a Major in the 16th Lancers, by the time of her marrigae to Paul, her father was Major General and Governor of the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Cliff

M

Michael Heath-Caldwell

Hi there, need information on the Crompton family to update their page on the family website. We only have birth dates and date of death at the moment. Regards, Michael HC