I believe there was a further three sons born to the Schawbes:

Maurice (1872)
Walter (1873)
Geoffrey (1880)

Geoff.

B

Brian Ahern

Thanks, Geoff and Cliff.

The Cromptons/Salis Schwabes sound like worthy, middle class, backbone-of-Britain types.

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Geoff,

have had real difficulty on finding info on the last three you mentioned as why i didnt mention them,
At the time of Glady's birth her father was a Major in the 16th Lancers, by the time of her marrigae to Paul, her father was Major General and Governor of the Royal Hospital Chelsea.

Cliff

M

Michael Heath-Caldwell

Hi there, need information on the Crompton family to update their page on the family website. We only have birth dates and date of death at the moment. Regards, Michael HC

P

Peter Kelly

Hi Michael,

A photo of Mrs. Crompton and her six children can be found in a number of books, such as Simpson's book, and Capt. Ellis' The Tragedy of the Lusitania. I have visited the grave of the three recovered bodies in Queenstown a number of times, most recently last week, but no headstone exists. The grave is surrounded by a low metal rail, but there is no marker to commemorate those who lie there.

Peter

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Peter,

I was at the cemetery last month and visted the graves, such a shame that there is no marker, Paul Crompton left a very large estate when he died and am surprised that the family didnt put up a headstone, am also in the process of working on an article on the Cromptons for LWF3 with Jim Kalafus and Mike Poirier

Cliff

P

Peter Kelly

Hi Cliff,

I trust you enjoyed good weather while in Ireland as we have seen little rain since the middle of March. Unusual for Ireland!!!

With regard to the absence of a marker or headstone, it is probable that a marker was placed over the grave, but if it was made of wood, as is the most likely scenario, then it rotted away years ago.

I know that this occurred in relation to 7th. Engineer Wheelhouse, whose mother visited his grave in North Kerry shortly after his remains were recovered and buried. She arranged for wooden railings to placed around his grave, and presumably a wooden cross was also placed there, but no trace of any of these exist today.

Due to the fact that a metal railing surrounds the Crompton grave, we can assume that a marker was also put in place at the time, but either it rotted away, if made of wood, or else was destroyed or removed for some unknown reason in the intervening years. I guess the only way of knowing what was there, is if a photo exists showing the grave shortly after the railings were put in place.

Regards,

Peter

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Peter,

the trip to Cork/Cobh and Kinsale was excellent and the weather was fantastic, the only problem i encountered was the walk from the town to the cemetery - quite a distance in very hot weather, I see what you mean about some sort of marker that may have been lost over the years, when I looked at Ailsa Booth Jone's grave,it had the same sort of railings as the Cromptons with the addition of a headstone which looked like it had been added afterwards,
Its a shame that some of the private graves are now losing the metal lettering from the headstones and the one of Katherine Dingley has nearly lost its inscription due to being eroded over the years,

I did visit the graves in Kinsale and noticed on one of the other headstones a memorial to a Laurentic victim from 1917.

next time i am over - which will be in a couple of months i will let you know and maybe meet up for a pint

Cliff

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Peter,

forgot to mention, went in search of Lt Mathews nr the Collins barracks in Cork - the cemetery is now locked up as there is a new housing developement going up nearby and all the headstones have been removed - so it looks like his grave site is now lost

Cliff

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Cliff,

I did visit the graves in Kinsale and noticed on one of the other headstones a memorial to a Laurentic victim from 1917.

Five years ago, I visited that cemetery, but I don't recall seeing this memorial; so I'm intrigued. Which crew member is mentioned on it?

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Jason,

have attached a picture of the headstone

Scan0025