C

Cliff Mark Barry

sorry Jason,

wrong image ist one was Hugh Lane

Scan0001 copy1

P

Peter Kelly

Hi Cliff,

Yes, the uphill walk to the Old Cemetery is certainly challenging and lengthy.

I am sure you also noted on your visit to St. Multose Church and Cemetery in Kinsale that the name of one of the crew members was incorrectly spelt. Just to test you, I will let you tell everyone which one!!!

In relation to Lt. Matthews, his remains were taken charge of by the British Military authorities and buried in their cemetery which was close to their military barracks, now known as Collins barracks, after the Irish Patriot, Michael Collins, I cannot remember what it was called back then, and the barracks and cemetery were taken over by the Irish Army following independence. As you can appreciate, the suburbs of Cork city did not extend as far as the cemetery in 1915, but through the passage of time, and progress, if we can call it that, the area is very built up now, as you discovered.

I went in search of Lt. Matthews grave some years ago and discovered what you did. I called to Collins Barracks to see if I could find out anything of use, and learned that due to youths using the cemetery for illicit drinking and other practices we will not mention, the decision was made to close the cemetery, and later a new road was built in the area which has changed the landscape dramatically.

My friend, Paddy O'Sullivan had some information that all headstones, including one for Lt. Matthews, had been removed from the cemetery, and there is some suggestion that the headstones were taken to Dublin. Why, or where, they were taken there is something of a mystery. I will contact Paddy and see if he can shed some light on this. I have been meaning to ask him about it anyway, but anytime I meet him, I get sidetracked and forget about it.

I look forward to having a pint with you on your next visit. As you discovered when you were over here, we are very poor people and always avail of the opportunity to drink a few pints when a rich Englishman is buying!!!

Take care,

Peter

M

Michael Heath-Caldwell

Hi there Peter Kelly, I will try to track down the books with the photos of the Cromptons in it. They are descended from the Cromptons of Chorley Hall, related to the Caldwells in Staffordshire, but we do not have much more info on them. There is a web page ready on the Heath-Caldwell archives.

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Cliff,

Thanks for posting that photo, it's great to see. Which crew member is buried there?

C

Cliff Mark Barry

Hi Jason,

the crew member is Michael Newman aged 38, from Higher St Kinsale, a seaman with the Royal Naval reserves, it appears to be a memorial only and that he was lost at sea and not recovered, as according to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission his memorial is on the War memorial on Plymouth Hoe

Cliff

Jason D. Tiller

Jason D. Tiller

Staff member
Hi Cliff,

Ah, okay. That's great information, thanks again.

Cheers,

Jason
Happy

D

Dorothy Smith

Hello, I am pretty new to the board. Are you looking for the Crompton family related to Samuel Crompton? He invented the spinning mule. He was from Bolton England.

J

Jacqueline McEwen

Hi
Just came across your message board while having nothing to do in work and I put in my maiden name Crompton!! Cant believe this history. I have always wanted to do a family tree - maybe I will now. Thanx.

Laura Lee

Laura Lee

I was wondering if anyone knows how to reach Cliff Mark Barry who was a frequent poster here, but whose profile seems to have stopped posting a few years ago?

I am researching the family of Gladys Salis-Schwabe, also known as Mrs. Paul Crompton who perished, with her entire family, in the sinking of the Lusitania. I have been trying to find out as much as I can about Galdy's brothers especially Maurice, Edgar-- who was Paul Crompton's business partner in Russia-- and Geoffrey.

Back in 2006, Barry posted that he had gotten access to some Schwabe-Crompton family letters and I would really love to see them if he still has them. Any help would be appreciated.

Also: Does anyone know if any members of the Schwabe family (Edgar, Geoffrey and mother Mary were going by Salis at this time) attended the funeral for the victims of May 13, 1915?