THE END

John DeLoache

Jun 3, 2004
Midshipcentury.com has posted what they expect will probably be the final picture of the Norway. There is little recognizable of her left other than a bit of hull and what appears to be the inboard port screw shaft.

Farewell, God Bless, and Amen

ArchGuy1

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
Does anyone know if there were any other proposals to preserve the SS Norway as a hotel and museum ship besides the one by a French resort group for Honfleur, France, another in Amsterdam as the AmsterDame, and the Project Dubai proposal for preserving the ship in Dubai.

PRR5406

Jun 9, 2016
Maine
My understanding is, her prow tip was preserved as a park feature in Paris. The ship had been horribly modified for cruise service and really did not resemble the great Atlantic liner we came to love. Retro-building would have cost a fortune, and to what avail? A static ship is a hole in the water into which you throw lifeboats full of money.
I believe the ship was suffering from the typical ailments of faulty wiring and rat infestations at the time she was cut up.
Like the "United States", her styling was so distinctive, she'd have made a great destination marker for any port city.
I recently saw photos of the "QE2" tied up as a hotel in the Middle East, and she's not impressive. Most of these attractions wane as money makers, rather quickly too, and end up being towed away as junk.

Mar 25, 2019
prr - hello yes indeed - i am not an avid steam rail fan more classic ships - i do however have a keen interest in the old steam tugs of south africa- are you on facebook - if yes i can send a friend request and link you up to various rail sites