The Evacuation of Dunkirk

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
This week marks the 80 year anniversary of the evacuation of Dunkirk, which was an important event in the history of World War 2. The evacuation occured as Nazi Germany was invading France and evacuated troops were sent to Britain. Ultimately paved the way for how the rest of World War 2 turned out. Many warships were used in the evacuation of Dunkirk.

Bo Bowman

Dec 23, 2019
Worland, Wyoming
I love the account of the "little ships," a very ballsy fix to a sticky problem. When they have their annual commemoration cruise from Ramsgate to Dunkirk, it's sad to see there are a few less than the year before. I'm a bit of a WW2 history nut, and concur that the rescue of an entire army to fight again was instrumental in the war's outcome. Once again, the hand of God in history. When I was a boy I had a copy of the youth version of Churchill's WWII history, and one illustration I'll never forget was a painting of the wide variety of civilian craft that came to Dunkirk.

TOWER3

Jun 11, 2019
Garland, TX
I love the account of the "little ships," a very ballsy fix to a sticky problem. When they have their annual commemoration cruise from Ramsgate to Dunkirk, it's sad to see there are a few less than the year before. I'm a bit of a WW2 history nut, and concur that the rescue of an entire army to fight again was instrumental in the war's outcome. Once again, the hand of God in history. When I was a boy I had a copy of the youth version of Churchill's WWII history, and one illustration I'll never forget was a painting of the wide variety of civilian craft that came to Dunkirk.
Did the Evacuation of Dunkirk pave the way toward the eventual Allied victory in World War 2.

Bo Bowman

Dec 23, 2019
Worland, Wyoming
Our British contingent is probably better qualified to answer that, as they are (or should be) more immersed in the intricacies of pre-Pearl Harbor WW2 history than I, but I will venture to say that it's hart to fight a war without an army.

Nov 14, 2005
Our British contingent is probably better qualified to answer that, as they are (or should be) more immersed in the intricacies of pre-Pearl Harbor WW2 history than I, but I will venture to say that it's hart to fight a war without an army.
Well I'm glad that they did but but from a military standpoint I never understood why they let them escape back to England. They were fish in a barrle so to speak. But you have to give the sailors and people of Britain huge kudo's for pulling that rescue off. It's a good thing that the nazi's were not always the brightest bulb in the room.

Dec 29, 2006
Witney

The Fall of France was a huge disaster for the allies, but "the rescue of an entire army to fight again" was surely one of Britain's greatest naval victories.

Dec 27, 2017
Isle of Man
One reason sometimes given for the 'escape' of the BEF from Dunkirk is that Hitler was still thinking he may negotiate a peace treaty with Great Britain at that time and was treading softly. Make of that what you will.........

Nov 14, 2005
You could be right about that. If you read and listen to some of his early statements he didn't want to destroy or conquer Britain. He had sort a weird admiration for England. But he did want to control it so they wouldn't stand in the way of his master plan.