The falling Funnel and water pressure

Daniel Cox

Apr 5, 2004
Im just curious that over the years it has been said that when the Titanic was going down and the forward funnel fell it left a hole that caused water to swirl down.I was wondering if that was the real case or not as wouldnt water be entering though the flooded boilers and with the water pressure growing as she sank deeper , that by the time the funnel fell the water would be close too if not equal to the depth of the water on the deck.

My other thought is the glass dome implode.In the movie you see the water burst though the glass under pressure causing alot of damage.Yet if that was the case wouldnt the deck windows around the lower deck foyer be bursting with water at almost a vertical stream due to the high pressure.Yet in the movie you see them just as rushing water and then when it gets to the boat deck they are still just rushing while the glass dome breaks with very high pressure.The movie was a movie but they say thats how it happened as it cause the staircase to rip from and float out in pieces.

I cant help wondering that the glass dome actually burst out with air pressure (think of it like a bubble under water) and the reason the staircase was so badly destroyed was the fact that been made of wood cause massive strain on the joints (trying to float)that held it locked into place and maybe even the fact the ships expandsion joint had something to do with it becoming loose.
Just my thought.......what do others think?
Dan
happy.gif

Erik Wood

Apr 10, 2001
In relation to the first portion of your query. I am not sure exactly what you are asking. So before I can give you my thoughts I need you to give answer a question for me.

What are you referring to in water pressure?? As to the forward funnel, are asking about the falls impact on flooding created by the opening of the fallen funnel???

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
I'm not quite sure what you're asking either. The water swirling down being the cause of what? The sinking itself? If that's what you're wondering, I'd say the answer was "no." Besides, if you have water swirling around the stack, you're already past the point of no return anyway.

>>Yet if that was the case wouldnt the deck windows around the lower deck foyer be bursting with water at almost a vertical stream due to the high pressure.<<

Not if the spaces were already flooded solid. Pressure would be in equilibrium by then. Those windows were pretty tough and had to be to survive the not so tender mercies of the North Atlantic. It's amazing how many of them have survived.

And may I make a suggestion? Don't take any movie, Cameron's or otherwise too seriously as an accurate presentation of anything. Even the best of them get things wrong, sometimes by deliberate design.

Jan 18, 2005
Daniel,

I am also puzzled as to what your question really is, but I think when the forward smokestack fell over and left an opening, the water must have streamed in towards the boilers. In the case of the Lusitania sinking there was a woman sucked down one of the smokestacks as it went under and moments later she was spewed out again by an airpocket rising to the surface. Of course the Lusitania sank much more quickly than the Titanic, but I can imagine the smoke-channel towards the first smoke-stack had not flooded completely when the water reached the base of it.

About the glass dome implosion; I was surprised at how minute the damage was in the movie. In my imagination the skylight above it would have held untill it was completely covered by the water and then the entire structure would have been pressed inward. When divers went down to the Britannic they found its dome in bits and pieces on the bottom if its staircase. So that's what I figured.

And about wood; after T went down there was not a lot of wreckage, just a few bits of the sculpted wood from inside the ship, deckchairs etc. If the entire staircase would have wrenched itself free because the wood wanted to float, there would have been a enormous amount of wreckage, where those in the water would have been able to cling on to, maybe saving their lives. It that had happened, I am certain it would have been mentioned by the survivors. And by the way, have you seen Cameron's Ghost of the Abyss? I was stunned by the amount of wood panneling that was still there, and I would love the chandelier as well...

Jun 12, 2004
>>Not if the spaces were already flooded solid. Pressure would be in equilibrium by then.<<

Mike, are you saying that if water of equal pressure built up on both sides of a window about the same time and pushed at the glass that the window is less likely to shatter to to pressure from both sides "keeping the glass in place," so-to-speak? Obviously that wasn't so in every location, as several windows were broken. I can't have foreseen the forward-most suits on B-Deck and A-Deck, for example, to have been already filled by the time the water reached the windows from the outside. Those windows that have survived, then, must have been further back, at a location where water had built up enough on the inside as well.

Just wondering...

Dec 2, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yes, several windows were broken, owever a number were not. As most spaces were flooded solid in the submerged portion of the hull, pressure differences would have been non-existant there. I don't see how a vertical column of water crashing in from above into areas already flooded could have had much of an effect either, but I always stand ready to be educated.

Overall, I'm still wondering exactly what Daniel was driving at, but since he hasn't sought to clearify himself, I have to presume he's either lost interest or hasn't been back.