The Falling Funnel award for worst Titanic book goes to

Dec 6, 2000
"Total Titanic" by Marc Shapiro.

Obviously 'reasearched' by picking up any information, right or wrong, on the Internet. No editing whatsoever that I could see.

My favorite mistake is the comment about the Olympic being on the scene of the disaster the next morning.

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Yes,Pelligrino does indulge in his book, Her Name Titanic.The brief chapter in which he is told by Ballard that:"there is no divorcing the Titanic, ever!", struck a chord with me. And the part about Ballard being saved from the Orca because Titanic had gone down and if the Titanic had not gone down would he have been saved? The quantum mechanics thing.
And as Bob has stated, he was there.
I would have been glad to be the cook, a deckhand,class clown or even a fifth wheel to have been on ANY dive to her.
Especially Sept. 1st, 1985.
Respectfully, Don

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Don, I wonder how it would feel to have been on the support ship but missing out on a dive. Maybe like manning the orbit module on an Apollo mission and never getting to set foot on the Moon. Could be frustrating, to say the least!

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Funny you put it that way Bob!
I felt the same as a child of 10 when Apollo 11 touched down on the moon. Neil and Buzz got to go sight-seeing. The Command Module pilots name escapes me!! Michael Adams???
To be so close and yet so far!
Like Tom Hanks said in Apollo 13.
Who was that co-star that was hurling?
happy.gif

Yes, it would be hard to see those submersibles going down from outside the hull!!!
-Don

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Nah - Pellegrino is in data arrears! He bolloxes up the record so much with his interpolated fictional material that it's impossible to sift what's worth reading...if anything is particularly worth it. Like a physician, an author/historian should 'first do no harm', and Pellegrino does harm in spades. How can anyone take a writer seriously when they have to query every piece of 'new' information he produces as to whether it's fact, fiction or lurid fantasy? Mind you, some of his material - i.e. Lightoller's extravagent emotional response to the anthropomorphised Titanic - is good for a laugh.

And that's leaving aside matters of personal literary taste re purple prose...

Still, as far as I'm concerned, Robin Gardiner remains unassailed as the King of Titanic Trash.

Don Tweed

Mar 30, 2006
Inger,
The book does swagger! The brief glimpes I mentioned are far between. Knowing he had Ballards ear I find interesting.
But I love Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas also!!!
The spectrum is complete!!!
happy.gif

Respectfully, Don

Sep 2, 2009
Don Writes:

>>Funny you put it that way Bob!

I felt the same as a child of 10 when Apollo 11 touched down on the moon. Neil and Buzz got to go sight-seeing. The Command Module pilots name escapes me!!<<

But then again Dr. Edwin "Buzz" Aldren has been to both the Moon and the Titanic

Dr. Aldren was an invited dive guest of RMST during the 1996 expedition.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
The Command Module pilots name escapes me!! Michael Adams???

Don, you're thinking of Michael Collins.

Josh.

James Smith

Dec 5, 2001
Tarn brought up "Titanic Revisited." My mother found a copy of that one at least fifteen years ago. It includes, as I recall, a rather amusing sketch of the Titanic vertical and buried head first up to the bridge in mud.

I'm no Pellegrino fan either; when I first saw him in GOTA I exclaimed (audibly, much to my wife's chagrin) "what is HE doing there?" His books do make for great reading, though . . .

James Smith

Matthew Lips

Mar 8, 2001
Gardiner's second (solo) volume wins hands down, for me. Pellegrino's efforts, for all their fallibility, are a rattling good read. Gardiner, on the other hand, not only mangles the facts but does so in a somewhat more ponderous fashion.

Which hasn't stopped me from reading both "works" of both authors...

Reactions: 1 user

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Well, I can't say I find Pellegrino a particularly good read - his prose is a matter of taste, and the odd decent passage is marred, for me at least, by his style (leaving aside all questions of his utterly execrable methodology). Lurid, highly coloured, purple...OTT in short. Nah, I'll stick to the elegance, restraint, wit and (in some instances) lyricism of a Reade, Marcus or Molony, or simply the rattling good narrative drive of a Lord. But yes, I agree that - above all other offerings - Gardiner Mark II (The Ship That Never Sank) slaughters any other contender for worst Titanic title.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Let's nominate Pellegrino at least for the best comedy screenplay. Trust the testimonial on the back cover of GOTT by Arthur C Clarke: "Often brought tears to my eyes". His 'conversations' are a riot, like Kathy Gilnagh's "Don't you just hate when that happens" - spot-on for the speech patterns of a teenage colleen in 1912. I believe Charlie was employed as a technical advisor for Cameron's 'Titanic'. I've always had a sneaking suspicion he wrote the script too.

Karen Christl

May 3, 2012
good idea bob! pellegrino deserves something for his bizzare book ( best read while mildy drunk, it makes a little bit of sense then)
but i gotta go for gardiner's books 'tho at lest he CAN spell titanic, lets give him an award for that!!!
happy.gif
kaz
happy.gif

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
What a good idea! Gardiner would virtually scoop the pool with any of his books, save for the 'Pellegrino' (can't think, off hand, of any invented dialogue in his books...just twisted, distorted and taken out of context dialogue).

quote:

"It is all lies, I tell you. Our initial assessment is that we will slaughter these historical facts. There is no infidel Titanic on the seafloor! We will roast the stomach of Ismay in hell. There was no iceberg - never! Be assured. The Titanic is safe, protected. I am not afraid of the historians. Allah has condemned them. They are stupid. They are stupid...and they are condemned. We will welcome the Olympic with bullets and shoes."

~ Robin Mohammed Saeed al-Gardiner

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Sniff.

But...but...I was told by a reliable source that the midget Gardiner and that Pellegrino deserve only to be beaten with shoes by freedom loving people everywhere!

Dec 6, 2000
Another 'groaner' - Webb Garrison's "A Treasury of Titanic Tales". Though the text itself reads well, it's full of more holes than cheese.

The second paragraph of the book, says "Just after midnight on April 12, 1912". Excellent editting here. And it doesn't get any better.

One of the best, is the famous photo of Capt. Rostron and Margaret Brown, with the caption saying that Rostron was giving Mrs. Brown the cup, for her "heroism and leadership".

Geez.

Pat Winship

May 8, 2001
Ummmm-- speaking of invented dialogue, Ing-- In Pellegrino's Ghosts of the Titanic I was quite thrilled to see an account of a conversation that Walter Lord had with C.H. Lightoller in 1956! Oooooeeeee, ain't them see-ances grand?

Pat W.

Reactions: 1 user