The film Atlantic

• Thread starter Michael Friedman (Mike)
  • Start date
M

Michael Friedman (Mike)

Leo Marriott's book includes some still photos from the film "Atlantic" which was very obviously based on the sinking of the Titanic. Does anyone remember seeing the film? Can you share anything about the plot (other than the obvious). I think that perhaps I saw it on television when I was quite young - does it end with a shot of the gamblers' cards floating in the water?

C

Chris Daino (Chris)

I have the film. It is actually in a "Titanic" set (film and documentary) I bought sometime in 1997, I think. They called the film Titanic but it was Atlantic.

The plot doesn't at all follow much of Titanic story. The one officer is Montgomery and I couldn't figure out who it was supposed to be.
They also have someone that could be W.T. Steed and newlyweds that sort of reminded me of the Astor's except that he was young. They wind up
putting him on the lifeboat somehow.

I'll check to see the ending for you.

Chris

C

Chris Daino (Chris)

Dear Mike,

It ends with a bunch of people saying the "Lord's Prayer" with a priest, but they are in a dining room area (well, inside the ship) and then the lights go out and you hear screaming and then yo see a sunrise and that's it.

Chris

Mike Herbold

Feb 13, 2001
Chris: I'd like to get a copy for my video collection. Which studio produced it? What's the name of the set?

D

Dennis Foley (Tophatter)

Mike: I saw "Atlantic" at the British Film Institute in London. The studio was "Elstree" and somewhere I have a written synopsis of it. If I can find it I'll let you know and will send a copy if you'd like. One of the main characters was a wheelchair-bound passenger (whom the Captain confides in as to the danger) and who obviously can't be saved. His wife refuses to leave him (based on the Strauses??)and the ending is like noted by Chris, above. The lifeboat and sinking scenes were actually pretty good given this was one of England's first talking movies (1929). The only actor I recognized was Madeline Carroll who later had modest success in Hollywood.

Dennis

O

Oakers

The film "Atlantic" is called "Atlantic" because at the time it was released, the White Star Line were very worried about the damage a film such as this would do to their business (all other Titanic movies made long after the company had been bought out). In reproduction documents produced by the British Records Office, letters that the White Star Line wrote to the film makers are included showing how they would rather the film was not called "Titanic".