The film Atlantis

J

Jeffrey Word

Has anyone else heard of this film? I'm sure some have because of it being included in the 'Beyond Titanic' documentary seen on the Titanic '53 DVD. I just wanted to learn a little more about it. From what little footage they show if it, it looks to follow the Titanic story pretty closely. I know it doesn't hit an "iceberg", but rather an "unseen object" in the middle of the ocean. (hmmmm).

So, I was wandering where I could get a copy of this film, or if it's even available for purchase.

Thanks everybody!

Jeff.

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
I think you mean a film called Atlantic.

There's quite a tale to this film. White Star was very annoyed by it and tried to see if anything could be done to stop it being shown. It was "this deplorable film" that would have a "very prejudicial effect as regards British shipping prestige."

White Star was particularly upset by the showing of a German version in Germany. Worse still, it was a British film! White Star wrote to the Board of Trade. which had absolutely no power in the matter. White Star was told that nothing could be done. The film was passed by the censor and that was that.

There was a similar kerfuffle a few years later when Alfred Hitchcock proposed making a Titanic movie. That project was dropped for other reasons.

I believe the film can be had. Search under the proper spelling.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Atlantis is actually a French-language version of Atlantic, filmed at the same time as the English and German language versions. It has a different cast list, but it's not clear whether these are names of people who dubbed the voices, or perhaps some scenes were actually shot several times with different actors. I don't think Atlantis is available on tape or dvd.

J

Jeffrey Word

I pretty much doubted that I'd be able to find it available for purchase. I was reading the story about the movie here:

http://www.jimusnr.com/Welcometomysite.html

This is a pretty good little site that shows Titanic's full history in film and television. I wish some of these movies were available. "History Is Made At Night' doesn't look too bad either.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
Jeff, that's not the same film that the rest of us have been talking about, but it's far more interesting! It's a new one for me, and certainly one that I'd like to see, though the shipwreck is probably just part of a longer storyline. Unfortunately, again there is no commercial release available. Here's the entry at imdb:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0002646/

J

Jeffrey Word

Thanks Bob!

Look's like they have it available. I might go ahead and give it a shot. It's not a T flick, looks pretty close.

Wish that hollywoodsattic could find 'Saved From The Titanic' or 'En Nacht Und Eis' in one of their attics.

Thanks again Bob!!

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
Today I dug out a video called "Beyond Titanic", which features clips from a number of movies.

One of them is a Danish film from 1913. It's called "Atlantis" and is in effect the Titanic story. Remarkably for the period, its a full length feature film. The clips were in good condition.

Has anybody seen this film?

"Beyond Titanic" by the way, is worth having, give or take the odd error or hyperbole.

Bob Godfrey

Nov 22, 2002
UK
That's the one we ended up discussing here, Dave, just recently:

[Link to what was once a separate thread, but is now immediately above, deleted. MAB]

You can buy the complete film on tape (see the link). The shipwreck is just part of a screenplay which was very lengthy for its time, (too long according to some reviewers!). I've only seen some stills, which suggest the ship is relatively small, and goes down stern-first in daylight. Only vaguely inspired by Titanic, but attacked in its day for being in bad taste.

Nov 26, 2005
Hello all.

I was actually shocked as to how little the ship was actually in the film. The whole thing is about a Doctor whos wife has been institutionalized for some kind of head sickness, then the guy wonders over to Europe to research a cure, I think. On his way back he falls for a steerage girl and maybe a first class girl on the Atlantis. Then about midway through the film you finally see the Atlantis (Which looks more like the Carpathia) and your introduced to life on board. I was suprised at the first and third class distinction portrayed in the film. They did a pretty good job on that. Anyway, FINALLY the ship is in heavy seas when it hits an unseen object that rips a gash along the hull. Slowly but surely the thing sinks. The panic scenes were well done, IMO. And the scenes at sea from the lifeboats' point of view was eerie. As they used a real ship for the sinking it actually came off looking great! For a 1913 film anyway.
I can't tell what happens in the rest of the film because honestly, I don't know. I stopped the tape after the shipwreck part and the rescue. It's a pretty big yawner until you get to the ship part, imo.
Still, glad I got it for my video collection. Now really the only one I need is Night And Ice and I'll have the entire T. film collection!