The fires in Titanics Coal Bunkers

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

doug michael

When she was delivered she had a fire burning in the Coal Bunker that the Captain new about. Was it the Titanic that sank???I think they swapped the Olympic ships as the Olympic had a List to Port after an earlier accident. They were both under insured and I think there was a cover up to get the Olympic across to the USA for drydocking away from public view and the passengers were sacrificed when it all went wrong. They were meant to skim an iceberg after port side to recreate an earlier accident...

A

Ashley Regan

Hi Doug,

I love cover up stories and theories they're so much fun to speculate on, but this one is too far fetched.

What your proposing is that they painted out "Olympic" everywhere on the ship, Lifeboat names, etc, etc,. Then lied to the public about the fact they were making the crossing in a renamed ship with serious damage to hide what??? That Olympic had a coal fire burning and a list from the HMS Hawke accident? What purpose would any of those actions serve? How do you propose the company managed to keep all the painters of new names quiet for the last 90 years? Finally, are you suggesting they deliberately ran over an iceberg to hide,...what???

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Doug, this one has been covered here befor and the whole ship switch thing is nonsense. The general external similarities notwithstanding, the Olympic and Titanic were very different ships. It would be impossible to make one look like another without a lot of very labour intensive work involving a cast of thousands of shipyard workers who would somehow have to be kept in the dark as to what was happening and why. As there are no real secrets in shipyards, I assure you, it can't be done.

There was no need to take the Olympic to the United States for drydocking when there was a suitable drydock available in Belfast, and none in the United States that was large enough at the time. And there would be no need to arrange an "accident" in order to drydock a ship when it's a lot easier to identify the work that needs to be done and award a contract to a shipyard to make it happen. No secrets here.

Regarding the fire that was smouldering in the bunker, this was an all too frequent occurance on coal fired ships and was handled in the usual way; by feeding the coal to the boilers then quenching the fire once they reached it with firehoses. No big deal and nothing to worry the passengers about.

BTW, the photos I've seen of the Olympic after the accident and after the repairs which I've seen show the ship on an even keel.

As to "planning" to graze an iceberg by design, do you have any idea how difficult such a manuever would be? Really? The Titanic was no hummingbird in regards manueverability, and to do something like that at night and at high speed would take incredible shiphandling skills. The sort of officer who would be capable of that kind of shiphandling is not likely to be the sort of chap who would co-operate with a plan like that in the first place. Even if you could find one, how would he get others to go along with a near suicidal move like that?

And take a look at the historical facts which are already in the evidence; Murdoch made every effort to avoid hitting that iceberg.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

D

doug michael

Thank you for youe replies I am an Engineer and an Ex Merchant Navy Officer...Why did the government envoke the Official secrets act on the workers..Unfortunate ly , with all respect you do not know how big business thinks or acts How do you explain all the extra work done at Belfast before the sailing...and how could one of the mates still not get used to the ship after a week
the cover up is there - it has you two fooled...

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Sorry Doug....but no it doesn't. And if your source is Robin Gardiner's work for the government invoking the "Official Secrets Act", I'd suggest you look to a different source as this man is notoriously unreliable.

And if you're credentials with the merchent navy are valid, (I really have no way of knowing one way or the other.) then you of all people should know just how leaky shipyards are when it comes to secrets. They just don't keep! 20 years in my own country's Navy and several yard availabilities that I've gone through, I don't have to guess about this. I know!

You should also know that there is nothing unusual about ships going into a shipyard for a few weeks to have some attention paid to certain maintanance and repair issues. For the Olympic, the first time was to repair the damage done in her collision with the HMS Hawke. The second time, it was to replace a propellor blade chewed up by an encounter with a submerged object. A not altogether remarkable occurance even today. Both events required drydocking to make things right.

If you wish to keep on believing in this, complete with the usual villains ("Big" business is an overused buzzword.) I won't argue the point with you. Don't mistake that for a concession as it isn't. I just don't waste my time on conspiracy theories.

Cordially,
Michael H. Standart

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Doug, the switch story is a modern invention. It first appeared in a book by Gardiner and Van der Vat. It was sold as The Riddle of the Titanic or The Titanic Conspiracy, depending on which side of the Atlantic it was on.

Those who had the patience to read all of it would have seen that on page 261 the authors admit that the switch never happened. They say that it's just an example of the way in which conspiracy theories grow up in connection with some dramatic event.

Gardiner has since written a book on his own. It's full of distorted 'evidence' and is not worth a cracker. To take a simple example, he says that the crew that sailed Titanic down from Belfast left her at Southampton because they knew of the plot. The fact is that most of the crew stayed with her. Only the firemen and trimmers went back to Belfast. That was because they were what was called 'runners' who made a living delivering ships around Britain.

Jan 5, 2001
I have maintained in the past that Gardiner cannot any longer believe his theory -- even if he did originally, which some doubt. This is in the light of recent evidence from the wreck site, uncovered by the 2000 expedition.

Gardiner's books have sold many copies, making him a *publishing* success. I have learned the hard way that outrageous theories sell books, not research. The tragedy is that some people believed him.

Best regards,

Mark.

Jason D. Tiller

Aug 20, 2000
Niagara Falls, Ontario
I agree with the above posts. Their is no way that this conspiracy could have been carried out and then kept secret all these years. It was found that their was no evidence to support it and as Mark mentioned it was discovered in the 2000 expedition.

Sorry Doug, their is no cover up. The only one that has been fooled by it is you.

Best regards,

Jason
happy.gif

T

Tom Pappas

It's simple! All you have to pull off the switch is:

Change all the structural and cosmetic elements on both ships that are different.

Convince the crew members who are intimately familiar with one that they are sailing on the other.

Reverse the ships in the harbor.

Keep 10,000 Irishmen quiet about all of the above.

Yeah, right.

Jul 9, 2002
Well this is what I heard....

You see, in the late 1800's, there were a rash of killings in London. Some of you may have heard of the strange affair of "Jack the Ripper". Well, it seems that he was never caught but what REALLY happened was this. Scotland Yard did catch the killer but since it was a member of the Royal Family, they had to keep it quiet. So instead of sending him to prison, they trained him to become an assassin for the Queen. This went spendedly for a few years but in April of 1912, "Jack" sent sail on the TITANIC in persuit of his latest "target". While on board, he became intimate friends with a Rich young Lady from 1st Class. Even though she was already spoken for, he nonetheless taught her how to spit from the side railings and fly like a bird on the bow of the ship. But disaster struck when the girl, we'll call her "Daisy" rebuked his advances and went back to her amour. "Jack snapped and flew into a homicidal rage, vowing to kill all on board!

Armed with a meat cleaver he procured from the galley, he overtook the Bridge and increased speed of the great liner. Murdoch was helpless to resist after taking a nasty swipe from the Ripper's blade. Seeing an iceberg directly ahead, the madman steered the ship directly into its path causing the collision we are all so farmiliar with. "Jack" jumped overboard as the ship sank, shaking with maniacal laughter knowing that he was once again working in his "chosen profession".

He survived that night and has went on to live a long and eventful life. Some of you know his work from a fateful day in November of 1963. He was in Dallas Texas that day and it has long been rumored that he was the infamous "second gunman on the grassy knoll". Well, let me put the rumors to rest. This is in fact True! I read an interview with him in the Weekly World News where he admitted to the dastardly deed. More recently, he was spotted in Bosnia-Herzigovina organizing the "ethnic cleansing" of minority groups yet did a strange turnaround when he joined the radical Muslim group Al-Quaeda and became buddy buddy with Osama himself! Rumor again says that it was he, NOT bin Laden who has organized all of the recent Terror attacks against my Country. After all, we all know of his bitter dislike for Americans who still seem to want to remember him for his early killings in London and he wants the same recognition for his newer homicides.

Well dont worry fearless posters! I myself am in the U.S. Army and will personally go faraway lands and track down this madman before he kills again!! (Begin patriotic music!) For never will Titanic Historians be safe as long as this man lives. He knows that we know what he did on that fateful night so long ago and he will not rest until he takes all of us who know down. So be vigilant but do not fear. For as long as we keep spreading the truth, there will just be too damn many of us to kill.

And that story is the TRUTH 'cause my great-great grand pappy said it was!! (Smiles to you all!)
Cheers!
Ryan

Jul 9, 2002
Well I'm trying to sell it to Universal right now but if that falls through you are more than welcome to it! Glad you liked it Mike. Talk to you soon.
Ryan

Smith Mize

Dec 20, 2002
Pishaw... I don't think that any major country is so morbid as to switch ships to help out their insurance problems. Besides- they weren't identical or anything. The forward promenade on the Titanic is still visible. Also, the Titanic's identification number, 401, has been found in several places. The chances are slim that the Titanic was scrapped and the Olympic rests on the floor of the Atlantic...

- Smith [email protected]

T

Tom Pappas

Hi Smith -

Clicking that little notebook at the top of your post (within an hour) will allow you to atone for a multitude of sins.

S

Stephen Stanger

Wish Doug would write back cos' this conspiracy was getting HOT!
If they were meant to skim an iceberg, then they would have to had specific signals from other ships to find one juicy enough, so can we pull Cunard and Leyland lines into the conspiracy as well (ha)

Jul 9, 2002
Last I heard ALL Cunard ships had been told to send false ice warnings to TITANIC in order to steer them into the 'berg. Apparantly they didnt feel they could compete with White Star so they decided to methodically sink all of their ships. (Does that work Mr. Stanger? Hope so!!)

It really is too much fun sitting here at the computer and comming up with these wild and crazy stories. Maybe I should do this for a living! Cheers!
Ryan

Status
Not open for further replies.