The first names of these crewmen

Andrew Maheux

Dec 4, 2000
Hi, Does anybody know what the first names of these crewmen?

F.A.R. Mason
T. Mayzes
J.J. Moore
A. Street
A. Fryer
H. Ross
J. Pearse
W. Fredericks
F. Toms
and A. Hebb

Thanxs

Andrew

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Frank Archibald Robert Mason
Thomas Mayzes
Thomas Albert Street
Albert E. Fryer
Horace Leopold Ross
John Pearse
Francis A. Toms
Some of these names are already given within this site, many having come from their Seaman Registration cards.

A

Andrew Rogers

Regarding fireman John Pearse.
His certificate of discharge actually reads Pearce with a "C".
His signature may have been a point of some confusion.
Andrew

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
His signature in the sign-on and off sheets appears to read 'Pearse' to me. Perhaps I'm incorrect. What "Certificate of Discharge" are you referring to?

Brian Meister

Mar 1, 2001
Would someone kindly related to me the
reason we are accepting the name Thomas
Albert Street for "A Street"? I have never
heard that a relative or anything has
substantiated this name, or perhaps I am
out of the loop on this one.
Also, I do not support the identifications
of three of the crew cards on the PRO CD.
I would really appreciate the info on Street.

Regards To All,

Brian Meister

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
http://members.aol.com/porkinsr6/street.jpg
The picture on the left is of an unidentified crewman after arriving in Southampton from Plymouth (also in the same photo was George Kemish, who left in the same boat as Street); the man pictured on the right is Thomas Albert Street. It is my belief that these photos are of the same man. Could be an amazing coincidence, but this is why I think Thomas Albert is the correct name for fireman Street.

A

Andrew Rogers

Hi Chris,

Those ears are a dead giveaway!

Regarding the Certificate of Discharge;
It is actually called a "Continuous Certificate of Discharge" and it is a small navy blue booklet issued by the Board of Trade. As I understand it, every registered seaman was required to hold one. It listed every voyage (ship, date and place of engagement, date and place of discharge, destination, Master, employed as (fireman etc)) made by the holder. A record of previous employment I suppose.
On the "particulars of Engagement" his name looks like it is "Peasce" to me !! but it is very clearly printed on the cert. of discharge as John Pearce.

Andrew

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Chris - I think you're dead on the money with that comparison. That's not a face likely to be misplaced! Aren't those CR10s (BT/350s) a tremendous source?

Inger

Chris Dohany

Jan 8, 2001
Andrew,
Thank you for the clarification. I don't believe if I can argue with that document. How did you come across Pearce's book?

Inger,
Yes, indeed! Wish I could get in to see what ones the PRO CD may have left off.

Inger Sheil

Dec 3, 2000
Chris -

If you've got an idea about who might be there, I'd be happy to have a look for them. I don't have the PRO CD, so don't know what would be missing.

Inger

A

Andrew Rogers

Chris,
I don't have Pearce's book in my possession, it is part of an exhibition that is moving around Australia. About 6 months ago I was doing some lecture/video presentations (on my Titanic dive) for a few schools and the Exhibition just happened to be in town so we worked in together and really helped each other out.

Inger,
There are 73 BT/350's on the PRO CD.
It also has rego cards for people like Stanley Lord included in the 73.
Would the PRO have ALL the Titanic crew in their BT/350's ?

Andrew

Jun 23, 2013
Hi,

I'm a great grandson of T.A Street. He died long before I was born, but I believe he was known as 'Burt' and usually signed off A. Street, presumably relating to Albert.

And no, I didn't inherit the ears!

Cheers