The footage of the ship wreck at the beginning of the movie

Thomas Kelly

Jan 13, 2005
Hi, I was just wondering about the footage of the Titanic at the beginning of the movie - is it all real, i.e. the shipwreck, the boots on the sea bed, the doll head etc.

Jun 12, 2004
Tom,

It was a combination of the real wreck and the set. The parts of the motorized camera moving through the inside and within the suite were all done on a submerged set. Even parts of the bow sitting on the ocean floor were actually a smaller version suspended upside down. Those parts, however, that we see on their monitors, such as the shot of the white spider at the foot of the parlour suite fireplace were real. That particular shot, incidently, was actually the starboard fireplace (the one actually used by the Cardezas) merely used as the port fireplace. Some of those consisting of fish were no doubt real as well. The next time you watch it, look close. You'll be able to tell the real from the set.

I hope that helps somewhat...

Jun 12, 2004
By the way, the boot, pair of glasses, and that particular doll's head were supposedly inside the wreck and were, of course, props. There is a real doll's head, and I have a picture of it, but that wasn't it. No doubt the real one inspired JC to create and use another one inside the ship.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Thomas,
Cameron made twelve 15-hour dives to the Titanic with cameras that could hold 500 feet of film, so only twelve minutes were shot on each and every dive.
The filmed images were, as Mark put it, shot on a submerged set in Rosarito, Mexico. The design was based on the 1995 wreck footage and images of the Olympic's interiors.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Thomas Kelly

Jan 13, 2005
Thanks guys. It actually makes sense that they built a ship wreck set and used it underwater - there are 4 (I think) fade ins between the wreck and the restored ship.

Shane Worthy

Aug 12, 2004
Thomas,
The fade ins were not the only set images. Almost everything on the inside is a set. The piano, the doorway, the safe, the wardrobe, bed, ect. I know some images of the fireplace were real, though the wrong one, and I am not sure if the bathtub was real.
All Ahead Full!
Shane N. Worthy

Mark Draper

Nov 9, 2004
A little bit of the real Titanic is shown for the wreck footage. The only ones that are real are shots showing just one Mir flying over the wreck. Shots showing both subs are a 1/20th scale model.