The Front Anchor

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Trent Pheifer

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if anyone knew how exactly the front anchor worked. I know it was stored on deck. But how would it be put into use? Did the crane towards the very front lift the anchor into position? And when was it used? Thanks for any help, I was just curious.

-Trent

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Trent, I fear it would have been the devil's own job to use the centre anchor. It used a wire cable that had to be first led out through the eye in the stem of the ship. The end then had to be brought inboard and shackled to the anchor. The anchor had to be lifted out by the foredeck crane, taking care to see that it was kept under control and not allowed to swing wildly about. Then the weight of the anchor had to be transferred to the cable and the crane detached from the anchor. Then all was ready for lowering. All this on the bow, where the motion is greatest.

Somebody more knowledgeable might be able to tell us how the cable was stowed. I assume it was on a reel of some kind, probably electrically powered. The anchor weighed about 15 tons and the cable was to match, so we are talking of serious loads and forces to be controlled. Personally, I wonder whether the foredeck crane was up to the job. It looks a bit feeble to have a safe working load of 15 tons, but presumably it was designed and tested to do the job.

The anchor was meant for use if the ship got into dire straits and needed all the anchor she could get. I wonder if Olympic ever used hers.

(Dire Straits is a narrow channel on the coast of Patagonia).

T

Trent Pheifer

Hey Dave,

Thanks for info, it sounds as impossible to work as it looked! Thanks Again!

-Trent

Dave Gittins

Mar 16, 2000
Digging a bit deeper, I'm now sure that the cable was hauled up by steam power. The windlass for it was on C deck and it was mechanically connected to other deck machinery.

T

Trent Pheifer

Thanks Dave,

Seems like a lot of work, I also wonder if the Olympic ever used it. I have another question, as I was reading about the construction of the ship I was looking at picture and wondering how high the ceilings were on each deck, also were the decks curved, I have seen on some ships where the decks are curved and someone had told me Titanic's were, but they always looked flat to me. Just curious.

-Trent

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
Yep...the decks were curved ever so slightly. Here's what Edward Wilding had to say on the subject of deck hights and camber:
19801. You can also give us, can you not, the heights above the decks? - Yes.

19802. I have them here; just see if they are right. The height between the Orlop and lower deck is 8 feet? - Yes.

19803. Between the lower and middle 8 feet? - Yes.

19804. Between the middle and upper, 8 feet 6 inches? - Yes.

19805. Between the upper and saloon, 9 feet? - Yes.

19806. Between the saloon and shelter, 10 feet 6 inches? - Yes.

19807. That is amidships, is it not? - Yes, for about half the length.

19808. Between the shelter and bridge decks, 9 feet? - Yes.

19809. Between the bridge and promenade, 9 feet? - Yes.

19810. And between the promenade and boat, 9 feet 6 inches? - Yes.

19811. And the camber on all decks was 3 inches? - Yes, 3 inches in the extreme beam.

As to that centre anchor, I doubt it was ever used. It was there more to satisfy regulatory requirements and the placement doesn't look all that practical.

T

Trent Pheifer

Thank you very much! I was just curious, b/c I was on an older ship that had a fairly noticeable curve and very low ceiling and was wondering if Titanic was much like that. Thanks Again!

-Trent

T

Tom Pappas

Hmmm. They have the sinking on February 12. But maybe the newspaper is part of a plot involving a German submarine and a mummy........

Mar 28, 2002
...the Feb 12 sinking is fairly typical of anything that has Dudley Coucil attached to it. They're thick.

If you click on the "back" button at the bottom of the opening page on the second site there are some fascinating tales of gruesome murders, IRA bombs and Zeppellin raids on the Black Country.

Status
Not open for further replies.