The Funnels

Nov 8, 2003
I am right in saying there have been a fair few expoditions (sp?) down to Titanic. But I am curious to know if they have ever found any of or remains of the funnels that once stood proudly ontop of the majestic liner.

cheers
i bet u wont know my username in 1 000 000 years, HAHAHA, oh wait, it's right there? Damn

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Jack,
The remains of some of the funnels have been found in the debris field. This thread from last year includes my speculation:
FUNNELS

Hope this is of some help.

Josh.

Joshua Gulch

Mar 31, 2001
Jason,
Thanks for welcoming me back! School's been sucking up so much of my time as of late, but I'm finally getting caught up on the things I missed. I hope to get back in the ET groove again!

Josh.

D

David Bubb

I have a question. In just about every picture of the TITANIC, one can clearly see the heavy cables attached to the funnels in the area where the buff color meets the black top section. There are, however, much more narrow wires that extend all the way to the top of the funnels which are not as readily seen. How many of these upper wires were there, and what were they made of that caused them to be less visible?

Sep 17, 2007
David:

It was quite a surprise to me to discover those additional lines running to the tops of the funnels, months after I thought I'd noticed everything about the ship's physical appearance!

They're called, I believe, "painter's lines," and they serve as aids to, of course, painting the funnels when it comes time to do so. I don't know what they're made of, but there discussed rather in-depth over at titanic-model.com:

http://titanic-model.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_mesg&forum=100&topic_id=24467&mesg_id=24493&page=