The Future of Nomadic

S

Scott R. Andrews

Phil,

Thanks for posting this news! Things appear to be looking up for the old gal -- hopefully, her good fortune will continue.

Regards,
Scott Andrews

Frank McElroy

Dec 31, 2003
Hi all,
just to let you know that it has just
been announced that the northern ireland government has just bought the
Normadic for £170,000.

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Yes, good news, Frank. Small point of clarification, in case anyone thinks it's the Irish Government, It's announced as the British Government that made the contribution.

Regards Ernie

Dec 26, 2004
Dear friends!

The person who bought Nomadic for Northern Ireland didn't want to make declarations or to say for which institutions she intervened, same to the whole press...
She just said that a press release will be published as soon as possible.

Best regards

Thierry Dufournaud

Ernie Luck

Nov 24, 2004
Hi Thierry

I wondered whether we may have jumped the gun, but it has been announced on BBC Ceefax this evening, and reported as Frank indicated above.

Regards Ernie

N

Nicolas Roughol

A bit sad to see Nomadic leave France for good, but I'm relieved she's finally found a new place for (let's hope) many years to come...
Now she needs to be restored...and that's a whole different story.

Mar 20, 2000
Wow! I’m overjoyed to hear Nomadic is saved, and pretty emotional about it. I was really worried she was going to slip through the cracks. But finally she’s got a home. What a journey she’s had!

The French have wanted dearly to keep Nomadic, and will be disappointed to see her leave, but they must be pleased to know that it was their valiant efforts that saved this special ship. No one did more than Nicolas, Thierry and Philippe to make this happen. Gentlemen, hats off to you, and to AFT, for never losing faith and making enough noise that someone finally heard you!

Mike Bull

Dec 23, 2000
Very pleased to hear this news- what a fantastic journey she will have had, after all these years, to come back home to Belfast, to be restored to former glory in her home and to have her own bit of limelight and to help with the whole new Titanic-based H&W scheme, too.

Fantastic!

Dec 26, 2004
Bonjour!

I received a message from Ken Marschall:

Thierry:
Yes, the city of Belfast bought S/S NOMADIC at the auction for an amount of 250.001 Euros.

I am very pleased that Nomadic is saved, but it's only the beginning of a great work...

At present, I'm going to help Belfast to realise the project (to move Nomadic from Le Havre docks to Belfast...and it is not an easy piece).

Ken:
Thank you for the FANTASTIC news! And thank you for all that you are doing to assist with her move to Belfast. A little bit of precious good news in this very troubled world. I will sleep well tonight.

Ken

Ken Marschall

Jan 8, 2002
Thierry's post above is confusing.

He sent me a brief news headline about Nomadic which was in French, a language I am only barely familiar with. But from what I could discern, it seemed to be giving good news about the vessel. I responded, asking if there were indeed good news. His reply to me is what he quotes first, above. My later comment follows at the bottom of his post.

I've already received an e-mail from someone in the Belfast or N. Ireland government (I believe) asking if it's true that I am assisting with the return of Nomadic to Belfast. Alas, I wish I had the means and the spare time.

I wonder to what extent, and to what era, the vessel may be "restored." I hope the funds are made available to do it right. I'm preaching to the choir, but I think she should be lovingly reconstructed to her 1911-12 appearance. What I would give to be allowed to personally paint her remanufactured funnel! Ah, there's a dream. What a catharsis that would be.

Monica: That "sag in the middle" is called "sheer," and it's supposed to be there. Ain't it pretty? Titanic had it too, as did all ships back then and up til the 1960s or so. What incredible skill and craftsmanship it took to achieve those perfect lines.

Ken

Jun 11, 2000
"knock out",Ryan?

I had noticed the sheer on Titanic, of course, Ken (though I didn't know that's what it was called) and did briefly wonder if the Nomadic's lines were meant to match it. But looking at the rest of her made me decide she was probably, well, just sagging! So - thanks.

Pat Winship

May 14, 1999
Ken, I agree-- she has lovely lines. Your painting of the two of them at Cherbourg really lets us see how similar their profiles and proportions were.

Pat W

Jul 9, 2000
Easley South Carolina
>>I wonder to what extent, and to what era, the vessel may be "restored." I hope the funds are made available to do it right.<<

I've been wondering about that myself. A nice sized chunk of the superstructure had to be cut off just to get her under some bridges and I have to wonder if the skills even exist to rebuild it the way it was. In fact, I have to wonder if the original builder's plans are even still extant. It would be a great help if they did.

Be that as it may, with an estimated cost of £7,000,000 to do any sort of restoration, she's got a long way to go, but at least things appear to be off to a good start.

S

Scott R. Andrews

"...I have to wonder if the original builder's plans are even still extant..."

Hi Mike,

I can vouch personally that the general arrangements and rigging profile still exist, because I have copies of these. As for any real structural drawings, that's another story. It's my understanding that when H&W cleaned house after turning out the lights in the archives department, UFTM ended up with a huge, jumbled mass of unidentified drawings covering many decades and, to date, they haven't had the time or funding to go through and catalog what they have. There is very likely nothing else remaining for the Nomadic, but you never know; the fact that she lasted as long as she did may have resulted in some of her data having been retained.

Regards,
Scott Andrews