'The Great Big Move' You Tube Thread on Titanic.

Elr James

May 10, 2020
I've done my best, but I'm 'out of my depth', as it were. May I have expert help on this please?

I've ordered Rostron's autobiography from Amazon, but until I receive it I obviously can't check if the channel is quoting him correctly or not.

Meanwhile, here is the link to the thread.

Nov 14, 2005
Interesting comments in that post. Almost all of them wrong. The best one was Titanics passengers wouldn't get on the Olympic because she looked like Titanic and they all had PTSD. And they didn't want them on Olympic because the survivors would have found out that the Olympic was really Titanic because of the switch...:rolleyes:

Dave Gittins

Apr 11, 2001
According to Rostron, Olympic suggested taking Titanic's survivors, but Rostron thought it a bad idea. He consulted Bruce Ismay, who agreed, so Rostron told Olympic to keep out of sight. See Rostron's book, page 77.

Last edited:

Mark Baber

Dec 29, 2000
Hmmm...on my phone I get the message I quoted above. On my laptop, I see what you've been discussing.

Ain't technology wonderful?

:rolleyes:

Nov 14, 2005
From the British Inquiry...day 16

18624. (The Attorney-General.) Your Lordship will remember there was one question (it is a small point.) which we said we would put to Mr. Ismay when he came, about the marconigram. It is at page 384. I said I would put it to him. I think it is pretty clear what is meant. If your Lordship will look at page 384, Question 17165, there was a Marconigram produced which contained these words: "Mr. Ismay's orders olympic not to be seen by 'Carpathia'"?
- Captain Rostron came into my room on board the "Carpathia" and told me he had received a Marconigram from Captain Haddock that the "Olympic" was coming to us as quickly as possible. He suggested that it was very undesirable that our passengers on board the "Carpathia," who were just settling down, should see the "Olympic," as it would only probably harrow their feelings; the "Olympic" coming to us could do no good whatever, and I therefore entirely agreed with his suggestion that it was undesirable the ship should come to us.

Elr James

May 10, 2020
Thank you so much Gentlemen. Nice directly quotable info from Christian, with the extra 'tongue in cheek' allusion (Olympic vis-a-vis Titanic) perhaps empathising with me trying to tackle what seems to be yet another nascent 'conspiracy theory' thread on YT. I trust I've acted correctly.