The Greek Ferry in the Mediterrean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2000
Just curious and I do not know if this is the appropriate time or forum to ask this, but is what happened to the Greek Ferry last week 9/26/2000, normal or expected or standard operating procedure for boating? Is this something that happens rarely or often or somewhere in between? There had been a strike that ended on 9/19, did that have anything to do with the sinking?
Maureen.

Aug 29, 2000
Just turned on NBC to see another Greek ferry sinking, hitting a rock also-one man dead and the whole thing on video tape. Catch the noon or 6 news tonight.

Sep 12, 2000
Dear Shelley,
Thanks for the heads up on the television news. I checked and here is what I understand has happened: on 9/19 a strike was over in Greece regarding the Ferry industry or something like that...anyway. On 9/26, the "Express Samina" founders. Then the "Zeus Three" founders and now yet another a third ship named the "Express Artemis" has foundered.

What are the chances guys!?!
Maureen.

R

Robert J. McDonnell

Dear Shelley and Maureen:
These debacles sound familiar, at least from my viewpoint, with the long gone Atlantic, Gulf and West Indies Steamship Corp. in the 1930s. The strike "disincented" business, and now with three ferries encountering "difficulties," the business flounders further. Yes, people find it difficult to believe that crew members would put themselves in harm's way to accomplish a goal, but they do. It is also possible that some faction is intentionally creating sabatoge. In one case with the first ferry, I believe, the crew was watching TV, when the ferry struck a huge, well-known stone "island." That vessel also was recently ranked as the worst in the "fleet." I frankly don't know what else to say--yet. When I have time, I will seek further info. I also wonder if the ferries fall under the SOLAS treaties.
Best Regards,
Bob

Sep 12, 2000
Robert J Mc Donnell.
Okay I admit to being totally dysfunctional when it comes to knowing stuff about most things in life...but what are the SOLAS treaties? I am not familar with that acronym? Why is is use of importnace here to you? Just curious kind sir.

Maureen.

S

Stacie Crowther

If the Greeks sail like they drive, then there's the answer. They love the Ouzo and take to the road like bats out of hell. Please don't throw the book at me. I am 100% Greek living in America. My legal name is Anastasia Vournas, Crowther is the hubby's name.

Dec 13, 1999
Stacie, I've driven all over Europe and further afield but nobody can beat the Maltese for their driving!! Imagine ten people in a 1958 Ford - no brakes, religious icons in every spare inch so that the driver can't see out, car held together with string, boot (sorry trunk) wide open, seats long fallen apart but now just a cushion on the framework - and that's just the rental cars!

Geoff

G

Gavin Murphy

Mo--SOLAS are Safety of Life at Sea Treaties.

Geoff--Maltese? I seem to recall driving around with you in Liverpool. I thought you were talking about Scousers!!

G

Status
Not open for further replies.