The Hidden Faces of Titanic

Jan 31, 2001
When I first saw the 1997 Jame

When I first saw the 1997 James Cameron film, I saw that there was a great deal of people in the background of every scene. At the time, I was not a full-fledged "Titanic historian", and I thought those faces were nameless extras.

Then, about a year ago, I was watching the "Titanic" video, and I noticed that the man behind Rose in the church scene looked strikingly similar to Jack Thayer. Later, right after the collision, a man I am now posotive is J.T. comes running out on the promenade saying, "Did anyone see all the fun?" Suddenly, I remembered reading that Jack had said that same line right after the real collision. So, although never mentioned, Jack Thayer IS in Cameron's "Titanic"! I have spotted William T. Stead on two different occasions, but that's about all I've been able to decipher.

PLEASE, if you know the identity of a "hidden face" in the Cameron film, then I would greatly appreciate knowing who they are.

Thank you very much!

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
Brandon,
In the scene when Ismay tell Capt. Smith to speed up the engines over tea in the Reception Room, The woman with the big hat behind them is supposed to represent Ms. Elizebeth Lines, who at the inquiry, testified that she saw the two discussing the speed of the ship that day. I know of others, but I will have to watch the moie again.

Mike Herbold

Dec 13, 1999
Great idea for a thread, Brandon. Now you make me want to watch the movie for the umpteenth time.

The one scene that endeared me to Cameron's movie was Frederick Spedden on deck watching his son Robert spinning the top.

It might interest you to know that last year I bought a lot of three books on eBay, which included "Titanic: Signals of Disaster," "Titanic Voices," and "Titanic: Triumph and Tragedy." The seller turned out to be one of the Cameron cameramen, and he had originally bought the books just to help him with historical accuracy.

Ben Holme

Feb 11, 2001
Hi Brandon,

Whenever I watch the Cameron film nowadays, that is practically all I do - spot the extras! I belive Cameron provided every "extra" with a true passenger identity. Off hand, I can think of loads.

As you said, after the collision Jack Thayer emerged onto the forward B-deck prommenade. I'm sure the man who responded was supposed to be Harry Widener, and the older man next to him sporting a top hat, his father, George.

Charles M. Hays and his son-in-law, Thornton Davidson can be seen on the grand staircase A-deck landing following the collision. Molly Brown, who is standing with them, complains to a passing steward, "you got us all trussed up here, and now we're cooling our heels!"

Many first class passengers can be identified on the boat deck in the scene where Rose compliments Jack on his drawings. I spotted the Carter children and something that resembled "our coterie" i.e one woman surrounded by five or six men.

The Strauses are the old couple on the bed (not that they died like that!) and the Marvins are the young couple being separated by Lowe during the loading of boat #10.

David is right in that Mrs Elizabeth lines is the woman seated at the table behind Ismay's. Her daughter, Mary Conover Lines is nearby in a red dress. During the course of the Ismay/Smith conversation, a young man approaches the Lines table. I'm guessing this is Richard Fraser White.

Mike is quite right regarding the identity of the boy with his father. I believe the older man observing has been identified as Capt. Edward G. Crosby.

I belive I can pick out quite a few of the couples at the boat #6 stage.

Mr and Mrs Dickinson H.Bishop are the couple who sreamed out when boat #7 made its jerky descent to the ocean.

I'll let you know when I think of some more!

Regards,
Ben

Jan 31, 2001
Hello David and Mike,

Man, I didn't think anyone was EVER going to answer this thread! It just shows that patience pays off.

The young man who tosses Jack the piece of ice on deck right after the collision has been identified as Harry Widener by someone on another thread. This would make sense, as they were friends.

I know that the Marvins were origionally supposed to be in the film; with a large part, actaully. I believe that Mr. Marvin can be seen on the D-Deck Reception stairs, at around the same time that Smith and Ismay are having a conversation.

To Mike: I find it interesting that that scene was taken directly from an actaul photograph of the boy spinning the top on deck. You can even see the coat on the deck chair that Jack steals! Frederick's father was played by none other than Don Lynch.

-B.W.

Jan 31, 2001
Hello Ben,

We must have posted at about the same time, as your post wasn't here when I posted. Like you, I generally just try to identify extras nowadays, but it isn't very easy. I will look for George Widener beside Harry. I wish Cameron had showed the interior of the gymnasium in the film, as it would have been full of identifiable extras. The Williams', the Astors, temporarily the Thayers, etc., etc. I believe this was actaully a cut scene from the film. Pray for a director's cut!

Thanks very much. I'm off to watch the film for the umpteenth time! Keep 'em comin'!

-B.W.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
If the criteria for a "hidden face" is an extra who doesn't have a talking part and no introduction to people unfamiliar with the full story of the sinking, then I nominate a really obvious one:

Charles Joughin swigging from his hip flask at the stern.

By the way, wasn't it nice of Jack to ignore the blonde girl hanging off the railings as he and Rose were waiting for the final plunge.

If he was strong enough to hang on to Rose when she tried to jump off the ship a few days earlier, surely he could have done it again!

Perhaps she didn't have enough cash for him to never let go!!

Regards

Sam

Jan 31, 2001
Hello Sam,

Yes, Joughin is an obvious one. I can't believe I never mentioned him. I had never gave the blonde girl much thought before. Perhaps Jack didn't notice or was too exhausted to do anything. At that point, one would probably be only trying to save themself, as not much was left to be done to save someone else.

-B.W.

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
Just before Rose and Cal board Titanic a steward is welcoming people aboard and as far as I can remember a lady steps aboard with a couple of dogs.

The only couple I can find on this site who brought more than one dog aboard were Mr and Mrs William Carter.

Regards

Sam

Sam Brannigan

Dec 20, 2000
If that's what they are, yes. My knowledge of dog s is tiny but unless Cameron was using the scene for purely aesthetic reasons then the only people I can find as likely owners of the dogs are the Carters.

You've got me now Tracey, haven't you?!!

This is what happens when I get lazy and just use the info on this site and don't use my books!

Regards

Sam

Aug 29, 2000
Did E.J.'s wolfhound travel with him? I think it was a white or grey borzoi. There are photos of them together somewhere. The Astors had Kitty the Airedale, Miss Hart had those funny French bulldogs with the batears, there was Sun-Yat-sen the Peke and I seem to recall a Pomeranian in somebody's sable muff being smuggled off the boat.

Aug 29, 2000
Am trying to spot Ed and Karen Kamuda-supposedly in a walk-on during the promenade deck afternoon scene- is Don Lynch supposed to be Mr. Spedden?

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
I aquired a copy of the origin

I aquired a copy of the original script, and in it it says that the little girl (i think her name was Cora??) that Jack danced with in the steerage party was supposed to represent one child of a large family (i can't remember which family, just that it was a real one). There were many more scenes with this family, but they were cut. The last scene with them was a rather morbid one depicting them all drowning behind a locked gate below decks.
Also, Brandon, there was a scene filmed in the gymnasium during the sinking, but as you said, it was cut as well. Fortunatly, it can still be seen on the CD ROM James Cameron's Titanic Explorer. This program has a wealth of cut scenes and a virtual tour of the set.
Hope this helped
David

Dave Hudson

Apr 25, 2001
I aquired a copy of the original script, and in it it says that the little girl (i think her name was Cora??) that Jack danced with in the steerage party was supposed to represent one child of a large family (i can't remember which family, just that it was a real one). There were many more scenes with this family, but they were cut. The last scene with them was a rather morbid one depicting them all drowning behind a locked gate below decks.
Also, Brandon, there was a scene filmed in the gymnasium during the sinking, but as you said, it was cut as well. Fortunatly, it can still be seen on the CD ROM James Cameron's Titanic Explorer. This program has a wealth of cut scenes and a virtual tour of the set.
Hope this helped
David

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
How do you get to all the cool

How do you get to all the cool stuff like the cut scenes and the virtual tour? I can't seem to get past the historical timeline???
By the way, in the scene where a mother is teaching her daughter how to act properly, does anyone want to venture a guess who that might be?
And I think the large Irish family "Cora" belongs to might be the Goodwins or the Sages, although neither family had a daughter by that name.

Kyrila Scully

Apr 15, 2001
South Florida
How do you get to all the cool stuff like the cut scenes and the virtual tour? I can't seem to get past the historical timeline???
By the way, in the scene where a mother is teaching her daughter how to act properly, does anyone want to venture a guess who that might be?
And I think the large Irish family "Cora" belongs to might be the Goodwins or the Sages, although neither family had a daughter by that name.

Jan 31, 2001
Kyrila,

I personally don&#3

Kyrila,

I personally don't own the game myself, so I haven't seen all it has to offer. Most of the scenes that I refer to are ones that I have read about. Rose's Promise, that site you told me about, contains many deleted scenes. But, I'm sure you've all ready seen these. I plan on getting the game, and I've heard talke that a director's cut version of the film is coming out, but I have my doubts.

-B.W.